Kings At Avoca

carlin11

hi all,

just a short note to say we had a not so bad day at avoca. got on the water around about 5.30 am

started to fish for live bait and bingo there was a plenty to be had and all a decent size.

ok hooked up the first yakka and tossed her in and within 20 minutes my first strike, but it was a tailor round about 50 cm not bad i do say so myself.then we watched all the other boys pull in kingies one after another, but hey all undersize and caught on lures. average size was about 45- 55 cm could not believe those idiots kept all the rats. :ranting2: we estimated about 40 fish were taken home NO WONDER THERE ARE NO BIGGIES LEFT :mad3:

but we done well caught three kings and all over 60 cm # 1 was 63 # 2 was 61 #3 was 62 so we were happy not a total waste of a day of fishin :thumbup:

tight lines all :1fishing1:

John & Steve

Guest lbgking

Bloody mongrels taking undersize kings. :1badmood:

And thay look at you funny when you throw them back.

Good to see Avoca warming up again will try myself Monday.

Do any Raiders see any merit in confronting these unsavoury characters when they keep undersize fish?

I know from past experience that people tend not to react well when you point out that the fish they're about to stick in their bag is undersize, but surely a comment is warranted if a large number of undersize fish are being kept?

Just a thought . . . .

Mondo

Do any Raiders see any merit in confronting these unsavoury characters when they keep undersize fish?

I know from past experience that people tend not to react well when you point out that the fish they're about to stick in their bag is undersize, but surely a comment is warranted if a large number of undersize fish are being kept?

Just a thought . . . .

Mondo

Generally they just pretend not to hear you. I haven't been punched yet but I'm sure that's happened a few times as well. I used to fish Avoca a bit and it got to the point where I called the Fisheries office, got one of their officers' mobile numbers and put it in my phone. Still never saw anyone get done unfortunately.

you cannot get busted for having undersized fish.

Why? well you can always say these fish died when you took it out of the water and so instead of throwing it back, you were planning to use it as a bait?

Secondly you can say it swollowed the hook which is proven to kill the fish so once again you kept it so that you can retreive your tackle and also to use it as a bait.

Generally when I see people take really small fish I keep stareing at them... and hopefully they will feel guilty. Just remember their might be psychos out there so don't confront them... they might push you in the water!

Generally they just pretend not to hear you. I haven't been punched yet but I'm sure that's happened a few times as well. I used to fish Avoca a bit and it got to the point where I called the Fisheries office, got one of their officers' mobile numbers and put it in my phone. Still never saw anyone get done unfortunately.

Guest fishrunner

I have to agree, I wouldn't confront them,That's what mobiles are for.

I just wanna have a good day fishing.

They're ignorant @#$# anyway and will get theirs one day. :1badmood:

cheers

Sorry Gianniz

None of those excuses work if youre caught by fisheries.

If its undersize you have to put it back, live or bleeding or dead. Legally you cant even use undersize fish as live bait.

Just a shame we dont see more fisheries officers at places like Avoca where plenty of offences are committed,

They love blatting around in their big boat rather than wearing out a pair of shoes

This kind of thing is so rampant it is hard to stop.

I was down at The Entrance yesterday arvo and the shore was lined with people fishing, maybe 20 or so in the area I was in.

To my right was 3 or 4 blokes catching one small Bream after another, and throwing them straight in to the awaiting Pelican's mouth - every single fish. Must have been 20 or 30 fish , the pelican was so full it waddled off and was replaced by another.

To my left was to was a husband and wife team of Asian appearance with a keeper net full of tiny Bream in it. Whats worse is that the people lined up beside them started to give them everything they caught too. The bloody world has gone mad ! Doesnt anyone know what a size limit is ?

When I first got there I was pleased to see the amount of people having a fish and enjoying themselves only to be heartbroken by these same hoards of people killing and keeping everything that was hooked. I didnt see one U/S fish get put back. :thumbdown:

Ring Fisheries ? Whats the point ! They should be F$%CKING DOWN THERE ALREADY ! Ive never seen an area so heavily populated with rec fisho's, surely they know this. A sunny Sunday arvo would be a great time to educate some people who need educating. School holidays would have been prime time for Fisheries or Fishcare volunteers to set up camp in these heavily fished areas.

Reef Rebel, nice report mate glade you still managed a few legals. Keeping U/S Kings down there is common practice im affraid, and your likely to be tossed in if you confront them.

i was at AKUNA BAY few months ago and it was sunday 6pm!! they came and busted bunch of people for keeping small fish...

One thing i didn't like was when I saw them make a little kid cry as they release a small fish that kid caught (yes it was undersized but it was his first fish so he wanted to keep it).

Their parents were throwing back all the small fish and seems to me was there to have some fun... Kid didn;t get any fine.

i was at AKUNA BAY few months ago and it was sunday 6pm!! they came and busted bunch of people for keeping small fish...

One thing i didn't like was when I saw them make a little kid cry as they release a small fish that kid caught (yes it was undersized but it was his first fish so he wanted to keep it).

Their parents were throwing back all the small fish and seems to me was there to have some fun... Kid didn;t get any fine.

To me its not about busting people or fining people. Its about educating people.

No one wants to see a little kid cry, but you have to blame the parents for not teaching him/her that the right thing to do is to let it swim free. No child will cry because they are not allowed to kill a fish as opposed to letting it go. They will cry however if they are forced to do something that mummy and daddy said they didnt have to like in the case you mentioned.

Most young childern will get more enjoyment out of letting a fish swim free instead of letting it die in a bucket if they are taught this from the start. Wake up Mum and Dad and educate your kids.

Here here Grantm - I totally agree.

Whilst it is sad to see a little kid cry because fisheries released his fish, it is far sadder that his parents didn't teach him some respect for the ocean so that he understood why it was wrong to keep the undersized fish in the first place.

I've done heaps of fishing with my young cousins and they always used to want to keep the little fish - but I've explained to them that they have to release them to keep the ocean healthy and happy and nowadays they take great pride in carefully letting them all go.

It's all about respecting the ocean.

Mondo

disgraceful

I have spoken with Corrina Warrel from the Central Coast Fisheries Dept about this and other issues that have been brought up on our site .They will be looking at a few places of interest :thumbup: I have informed the fisheries that we are having a social day up at the Entrance on the 5th of march and could they try and get someone to come along with info and what is happening on that part of the coast. Hope to have some good news on this soon .

Cheers Swordfisherman

Great work Swordy id love to see them down there. Im going to try my best to get to the social and say hi !

Will be good to see you and any other central coast fishos as well :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Guest lbgking

Apart from the odd furious looking glare I usualy don't respond to people taking an undersized fish. What I would like to do would result in a twelve month good behaviour bond or if the Beak (no not the pelican :tease: ) was having a bad day 3 months at Silverwater.

Report people if you have a contact number for fisheries but do not confront them. An abusive argument or smack in the mouth from some idiot is not worth it, especially in front of your kids. Keep passing the information regarding bag limits and sizes on to all new and junior fisho's and hope that your best efforts in this regard develop a better generation of fishermen.

The lessons learnt from my old man regarding undersize fish, never crowding another fisherman and releasing fish that you can't eat have proved invaluable through out my life. The joy of watching your childs face as they release their first fish is undescribable and better than explaining to your mates why that fish looks so small on the barbeque.