Quintrex fuel sender

Tangles27

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have a 2001 Quintrex 4.55 Escape and the fuel gauge only shows about 3/4 full when it is full. Not a problem when only out for a day but recently spend several days at Glenbawn Dam and travelling up the back every day would see the gauge down to around 1/4, So I kept putting in around 10 Litres every day so as not to run out.

I have pulled up the floor and thought that maybe a wire connection was a bit corroded and may need cleaning. However it seems to be a sealed unit including the wires.

Has anyone replaced a sender in a Quintrex before and if so what sort of sender is it? ie one where the float goes up and down a tube or do they have a float on an arm that moves up and down?

I didn't want to take the old one out until I had a replacement.

I have attached a photo (hopefully) showing the top of the sender in the tank.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

20221106_160431.jpg

4 hours ago, Tangles27 said:

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have a 2001 Quintrex 4.55 Escape and the fuel gauge only shows about 3/4 full when it is full. Not a problem when only out for a day but recently spend several days at Glenbawn Dam and travelling up the back every day would see the gauge down to around 1/4, So I kept putting in around 10 Litres every day so as not to run out.

I have pulled up the floor and thought that maybe a wire connection was a bit corroded and may need cleaning. However it seems to be a sealed unit including the wires.

Has anyone replaced a sender in a Quintrex before and if so what sort of sender is it? ie one where the float goes up and down a tube or do they have a float on an arm that moves up and down?

I didn't want to take the old one out until I had a replacement.

I have attached a photo (hopefully) showing the top of the sender in the tank.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

20221106_160431.jpg

I’d pull it out and take photos of it to ensure I get the right one instead of relying on some of the muppets around that will give/send you the wrong one and source my own correct one then re-install until new one arrives.

Whether it ever worked OK is important, it might be just jammed near the top (full position) be careful removing it, the screws often break off, or strip. Without seeing it, I am guessing it's just a simple, cheap float on a metal rod, there's a chance the rod needs adjusting (by bending) or maybe it's just the wrong sender for the tank and is hitting something inside (like a baffle) it's over 20 years old, so anything's possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Whether it ever worked OK is important, it might be just jammed near the top (full position) be careful removing it, the screws often break off, or strip. Without seeing it, I am guessing it's just a simple, cheap float on a metal rod, there's a chance the rod needs adjusting (by bending) or maybe it's just the wrong sender for the tank and is hitting something inside (like a baffle) it's over 20 years old, so anything's possible.

Yup that’s where I was heading … the sender may also be working but installed in the wrong location. 
Anyway, over to @Tangles27

cheers Z

• Like 1

Don’t use your boat like I do and the tank will always read full and you’ll never run out.Kidding mate.Pull it out unless you have X-ray vision like supermen and check what’s been written above.

Thanks for the replies.

I purchased the boat from a mate who downsized to a smaller boat. He said that when new it read full but after some time it never read full again, only around 3/4 or a tad over.

I agree that the only way to tell is to take it out. 

How accurate can they be anyway? From the top of the tank down it is rectangle for 50 mm then it becomes a v shape.

I can understand that if the tank was rectangle from top to bottom then the float would be say reading half full when the fuel level was half full, but in this shape tank if the float was at the half way mark (overall height) then you must really have less than the claimed 65 litres it is supposed to hold.

I don't know what the gauge reads when empty as I have never drained it.

I spoke to a dealer today and they said to remove it so that they would be able to order the correct replacement. I thought that may be the only option.

Thanks again.

I recently purchased a brand new Stacer and the dealer told me straight up to disregard the fuel gauge bars and read the ‘Fuel Used’ (or similar) readout which can be reset when you fill up. He claimed that was the most accurate way of knowing what’s left in the tank. 
Of course you may not have the gauge that displays fuel used, so it may not be an option.