Sussex Inlet and St. Georges Basin

Sutho

G'day all.

Heading to Sussex Inlet/St. Georges Basin in a few weeks.  I've never fished there before, any advice would be much appreciated.  Also, any cracking crab or squid spots down there?

Cheers, Sutho.

The Basin is fishing well at the moment with plenty of flathead and bream being caught on both bait and lures. 
There’s no real secret to fishing the place. Lacking structure other than a few, small artificial reefs, the best fishing is usually in close to the shoreline along the ribbon weed drop offs. 
Staying mobile by drifting or electric power and covering plenty of ground should see you do okay.

Squid definitely aren’t my specialty, though the rocks between Cudmirrah and Berrara Beaches might produce a couple.

• Like 2

As Green Hornet mentioned above, the squidding can be good on the rocks at Cudmirrah (never tried Berrara). Aim for middle for the moon phase as on a calm day on the high tide the rocks will be exposed still and I have seen hot bite periods during this time. This can be a rare occurrence but makes it worth it when it happens. The reef is shallow so you will need to just use a straight retrieve when squidding here.

• Like 1

I have caught plenty of big flathead down there up to 97cm mostly drifting with live poddies.   All big ones released of course. The basin is just that, a big flat dish with no structure to speak of.  I have had best luck drifting around bait schools.  Find the bait, find the fish.  Ron 

• Like 1