Breaking Strains And Reels

squidgie

Hi all,

Was wondering , if a reel says on the side,300yds, of 20lb, and 400 yds of 10lb etc, what is the impact to the reel if I go up to 30lb or 40lb line instead...(other than reduced capacity)

Other than having to adjust the drag correctly is it ok to put a heavier breaking strain on the reel than what is stated on the box ? How much more can you go ?

Any info much appreciated.

Sq.

Hi all,

Was wondering , if a reel says on the side,300yds, of 20lb, and 400 yds of 10lb etc, what is the impact to the reel if I go up to 30lb or 40lb line instead...(other than reduced capacity)

Other than having to adjust the drag correctly is it ok to put a heavier breaking strain on the reel than what is stated on the box ? How much more can you go ?

Any info much appreciated.

Sq.

Your casting distance will be greatly reduced as well as the above :thumbdown:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Using line heavier than the reel is designed for can cause a lot of strain on it. The drag system may not be able to supply enough drag pressure to suit the heavy line also. Are you talking threadlines or overheads ?

I was going to ask ' what about braid' as I would be using that anyway. Well either braid or fireline. Still trying to work out what works best on it. At the moment I have a spool of fireline on it. More worried about the interal damage or something like that as I would be using the heavier class of line for chasing kingies.

I was going to ask ' what about braid' as I would be using that anyway. Well either braid or fireline. Still trying to work out what works best on it. At the moment I have a spool of fireline on it. More worried about the interal damage or something like that as I would be using the heavier class of line for chasing kingies.

That size reel will handle a lot of punishment and then some spool up and kick some serious kings butts

Cheers Swordfisherman