A few questions...

Bowler Bob

The great thing about this forum is there are no silly questions and even basic queries are answered with respect and a genuine wish to help a fellow Fishraider. I just have a few questions of my own.

I'm fishing Port Stephens from a recent new purchase of a small Stacer 449 Crossfire, setup for fishing with live bait tank, bait board etc with a 55lb MinnKota Terrova. Getting into soft plastic fishing and have had good success recently after a few weeks of nothing.

• I often hear or see that 'whiting and flatties are on the bite at XXX beach in the bay'. As an example, Bagnalls Beach is often mentioned. My question is what is the best way to fish that beach from the boat?? Do I get in as close to the shore as possible? Sit out 50m, spot lock and cast back to the beach? Just drift around 100m off the beach in 2m of water? Fish the ends of the beach where it becomes a rocky headland or stick to the middle of the beach looking for drains etc?
  • I often see that fishing the oyster leases is good for bream. How do you fish the oyster leases from the boat? Get as close as possible and cast into the channels between the racks? Just spot lock to the edge of the area (where the big white poles are) and fish that area a few metres outside the line of poles?

Thx in advance

BB 

Fishing a beach from a boat will probably work, but, actually fishing from the beach is the best option, in my opinion! Oyster leases are a different story (check legalities first) but you need to cast right in on the racks, if you're not getting snagged/losing lures, you're not close enough.....losing lures on Oyster racks is not such a big hit with the lease owners, they are not too fond of hooks in their hands.

• Like 1

Regarding oyster leases, some farmers are happy for you to enter their rack rows as they’re not fans of bream coming in and eating their produce. Others don’t encourage fishermen at all and defend their leases like the pentagon. Although I believe it’s legal to enter any lease, I definitely don’t argue with those that don’t want you there.

If you do enter the racks a little etiquette goes a long way. Obviously farmers don’t take kindly to you damaging their property in any way, but also go to great lengths not to leave any snagged lures behind that could injure the farmers somewhere down the track. A variety of lure retrievers and barbless hooks is mandatory.

Fishing from beach or boat? If the option is there I much prefer pulling up on the sand and fishing from the beach. It’s more stealthy when chasing those shy, shallow water fish and just nice to get out and stretch the legs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

• I often see that fishing the oyster leases is good for bream. How do you fish the oyster leases from the boat? Get as close as possible and cast into the channels between the racks? Just spot lock to the edge of the area (where the big white poles are) and fish that area a few metres outside the line of poles?

Thx in advance

BB 

I usually sit about 3-4m off the rack and cast forward at 45 degrees, the aim is to land your lure as close to the rack as possible and let ot sink, 

The hits are often quite subtle, but you need to go hard, locked drag

Always try not to overcast and put any lures on top of the racks, it's perfectly legal to fish there but it is someones livelihood 

• Like 1

Thx for the replies guys. I appreciate that fishing from the beach may be preferable for some (most?), but I'm committed to spending time in the boat, so I'll just use trial and error on how best to attack it. Cheers.

As for beaching the boat and fishing from the beach, that plan would be going fine until it was time to climb back into the boat, it would be a struggle to say the least 😂

I think there's another angle for you to consider BB. The best fishing is where the fish are. Reading the location is essential. 

Whilst I don't fish the salt water very often from my tinny, I do have success whenever I do. That stems from reading the location. Estuaries are fantastic fish holding areas and fish are plentiful if you read the areas and know the habits of the targeted species. You have more than enough information regarding oyster rack fishing for Bream. Let's consider Flathead. They are ambush predators. They lie partly buried in the bottom (sand or mud) and ambush their prey. Generally found on drop - offs waiting for the bait fish to move onto or off the shallows, depending on the tide. Drifting and casting along the drop -offs with soft plastics will account for Flathead, Bream, Trevally, Tailor and Salmon. Whiting are probably best caught in the shallows where they feed.

I would check out some You Tube videos on how to read these areas and the types of lures used. A bit of advice would be to ensure your soft plastic is getting to the bottom and to take your time retrieving it. 

Hope there is something helpful in that brief summary BB. Main thing would be to get out on the water, with appropriate gear and cover some ground.

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I think there's another angle for you to consider BB. The best fishing is where the fish are. Reading the location is essential. 

Whilst I don't fish the salt water very often from my tinny, I do have success whenever I do. That stems from reading the location. Estuaries are fantastic fish holding areas and fish are plentiful if you read the areas and know the habits of the targeted species. You have more than enough information regarding oyster rack fishing for Bream. Let's consider Flathead. They are ambush predators. They lie partly buried in the bottom (sand or mud) and ambush their prey. Generally found on drop - offs waiting for the bait fish to move onto or off the shallows, depending on the tide. Drifting and casting along the drop -offs with soft plastics will account for Flathead, Bream, Trevally, Tailor and Salmon. Whiting are probably best caught in the shallows where they feed.

I would check out some You Tube videos on how to read these areas and the types of lures used. A bit of advice would be to ensure your soft plastic is getting to the bottom and to take your time retrieving it. 

Hope there is something helpful in that brief summary BB. Main thing would be to get out on the water, with appropriate gear and cover some ground.

Good luck, bn

Cricket or Lawn Bowler Bob? bn

22 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

Lawn bowls.

Strangely enough, in my younger days I played a reasonable level of cricket as purely a batsman, I couldn't bowl to save myself 😂

Good pastime playing Lawn Bowls. You play on grass or synthetic? bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good pastime playing Lawn Bowls. You play on grass or synthetic? bn

I now play at Soldiers Point. We have both an undercover synthetic and 2 grass greens. I prefer grass as long as it's running at a reasonable speed (13 secs or quicker), but no biggie to me as long as the synthetic is reasonably true.

I live at Sunrise Lifestyle Village at Bobs Farm and we have a very high quality synthetic 3 rink green in the complex. My front door is about 50m walk to the green, so more than handy for quality practice and some great social bowls, often finished with a 6-pack in our sports bar...

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:13 PM, Green Hornet said:

If you do enter the racks a little etiquette goes a long way. Obviously farmers don’t take kindly to you damaging their property in any way, but also go to great lengths not to leave any snagged lures behind that could injure the farmers somewhere down the track. A variety of lure retrievers and barbless hooks is mandatory.

To add to this, they also don't like people using their petrol engines close to and also in and out of the racks, if you have an electric motor that also helps keep the lease owners on side.

old 2 strokes should stay well clear.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

To add to this, they also don't like people using their petrol engines close to and also in and out of the racks, if you have an electric motor that also helps keep the lease owners on side.

old 2 strokes should stay well clear.

Thx jeff.

Makes sense and fortunately I have a Minn Kota fitted for some clandestine assaults on the oyster rack bream...lol

• Like 1