Bream detectives... help required targeting elusive tanks

Tommy TJ

Just adding to that photo and location, at low tide it's just bare rocks and sand patches, lots of little crabs and worms and stuff are under the rocks, if you get a high tide, very early in the morning, (or late evening) it's a great Bream spot, looking at it,  no one would fish there, it's just so, well, nothing looking! But I take the grandkids there at low tide, looking at crabs and little animals under the rocks, just the thing Bream love to eat.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just adding to that photo and location, at low tide it's just bare rocks and sand patches, lots of little crabs and worms and stuff are under the rocks, if you get a high tide, very early in the morning, (or late evening) it's a great Bream spot, looking at it,  no one would fish there, it's just so, well, nothing looking! But I take the grandkids there at low tide, looking at crabs and little animals under the rocks, just the thing Bream love to eat.

Just makes you think: so much of successful fishing is being observant. Peering in rockpools is great training for observation skills. 90% of the time, first look, rockpools look like nothing. Then as you sit there and continue to look, you start to notice movement here and there, then you notice some snails, the notice some fish and then some crabs. Next thing you know, the whole rockpool is teeming with life.

My eldest has very keen observation skills...takes after her mother. If she ever takes up fishing, she'll be devastatingly effective! I'm working on it...

• Like 5

This is 100% correct, my grandkids (and my grown up kids) love Rock pooling, when the come over, and see an extra low, low tide, it's declared "Octopus low" and immediately its a bucket in hand and a wander around the rocks, when it's really low, you can access lots of bigger pools that have everything in them, including Octopus, hence the term.....A few weeks ago, my youngest grandkids (6 year old twins) wanted to go, I was pointing out slippery rocks, and to be careful, a millisecond later, one of them is flat on their back in the water, I expected tears and drama, but no, nothing was going to stop a good day fossicking.

• Like 4

Hey @Tommy TJ, I’m not much of a bream fisho’and for me, usually a by-catch, but when using live prawns, nippers and worms, I get heaps and some real stonkers (low to mid 50’s at times). I know lures are more creative way to fish, but live bait usually offers me the best results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m definitely not even close to being an experienced fisho, but I have caught my fair share of bream. For bream fishing I usually use something like 8 pound braid and 8 pound leader. Usually it doesn’t make much of a difference if you go up or down a few pounds as bream are well… let’s just say a very versatile fish. However personally I think this will get you the most hits from experience. If I’m out to catch bream I usually just use a running sinker rig. Yes, it is simple and boring but it works magic for simple fish like bream. In terms of bait people are going to hate me for this, but I really don’t like to use lures for bream. Part of the reason could be that I’m not very good with the technique of using lures, but bait has just always worked better for me. For bream you can use the classic prawns which of course work perfectly well. Or you can use chicken. I usually use breast because it’s cheaper, but I think thighs stay on the hook better. Remember that the chicken should be smelly, as it attracts more fish. I have no idea why, as for most fish fresh bait is better, but for bream the smellier the chicken, the better it works for me. Bream are great fun to catch, and if you can get a decent sized one (>35cm) it makes for a great meal. The smaller ones should be let go as they don’t have much meat, but are nevertheless great fun. Sorry for the essay. Cheers

• Like 2

Oh, another point to add. I have seen some ISO fishermen using bits of pilchard, prawn and marinated chicken breast/thighs with parmesan cheese. They suspend it ~5m below the surface of the water (based on conditions) with ~3m of leader and ~2m above the swivel with a float stopper. It is quite effective, and I think the natural presentation would work well, as the bream would be suspicious of stationary baits.