Caribbean Safari

Gilera

Anyone know anything about this model? Surprisingly little info available online for a large boat manufacturer. They are 16ft from and what i can see they were made in the 80s. I guess that era would mean that they don't have a Pride equivalent. From a first glance they sort of appear like more of a ski style runabout with back to back seating but seem to have a deep V. Also seem to be able to handle big motors. I am wondering whether it might be suitable for reef fishing on good days and also a family runabout in the rivers. Not expecting miracles from a 16 ft boat but for example whether it would perform similarly to a Haines V16 or Seafarer V sea etc. Anyone owned one or know detailed specs - max hp, seating cap etc ??

hi mark77 .i have a caribbean off shore and its a great boat the safari will go alright the bottom part of the hull looks simalar to the off shore .i reckon it would be fine to poke your head outside on a good day for sure. max hp is 90hp on my build plate  cheers dunc333

Edited by dunc333

Thanks guys. Yes I think there are other good boats around that don't command the premium of having the Haines or Seafarer name. I have noticed several old Caribbeans for sale where there is specific mention of "solid transom and floor" in the ad. Not sure if there is anything to that in terms of build quality over other boats from the same era as rot is the biggest issue in boats this size - it isn't terribly cost effective to get them redone unless you're willing to do it yourself.  

I saw a Safari with a 135hp on it. Perhaps not legal with that size motor.

Lots of older boats (even famous/legendary brands) we pretty poorly made, pine timber, Masonite floors and years of stuff added on with no regard to water proofing means most have rotten floors and soft transoms, both of these are expensive to fix properly. Even a small "soft spot" can manifest into rotten stringers when you start "digging". If buying something listed as "rebuilt" make sure you have verifiable receipts for work done.

The Safari is the offshoot version of the Crestcutter.

Same hull except the Crestcutter is a half cabin.

I had a 1978 Crestcutter for years. Top boat, never had a problem.

You can put a 115hp motor on them.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

The Safari is the offshoot version of the Crestcutter.

Same hull except the Crestcutter is a half cabin.

I had a 1978 Crestcutter for years. Top boat, never had a problem.

You can put a 115hp motor on them.

Cheers.

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...