Diverging diamond road

noelm

I guess most have seen that the Hume Highway, Picton Road intersection is going to include a "diverging Diamond" supposedly this will help traffic flow (google diverging diamond to get the concept) considering the amount of traffic using this road, the idea appears to be just the cheapest option, far from the best option. Cars crossing over each other's lanes is never going to be great, especially when the number of trucks is taken into account. Without some kind of double bridge setup, it's going to be a bottle neck forever.

I just wish they’d start small first and FIX THE BLOODY EXISTING POTHOLES! All over the place mate.They failed to plan for our future half a century ago mate.Blind Freddy can see there’s no Hope left now.

• Like 1

I guess most know the intersection in question! It's two major, multi lane roads, with thousands of trucks and cars using it all day, every day. How the proposed "diverging diamond" is going to make it safer or faster is beyond belief, crossing over opposite lanes is going to be cheaper to build, but, hardly safer than it is now. The only real solution is some kind of double decker bridge system. The existing east west road (Picton road) is already over the north south freeway (Hume Highway) so it can be that hard to design another bridge system to allow east bound cars to go south, and west bound car to go north without lights and crossing each other?

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

image.thumb.png.ede744c6d19cde2fefb2222c3f398238.png

Seen it.They’re not wrong.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I guess most know the intersection in question! It's two major, multi lane roads, with thousands of trucks and cars using it all day, every day. How the proposed "diverging diamond" is going to make it safer or faster is beyond belief, crossing over opposite lanes is going to be cheaper to build, but, hardly safer than it is now. The only real solution is some kind of double decker bridge system. The existing east west road (Picton road) is already over the north south freeway (Hume Highway) so it can be that hard to design another bridge system to allow east bound cars to go south, and west bound car to go north without lights and crossing each other?

Spending money on roads & bridges doesn’t make them money unless it’s a toll road plain and simple.Let’s just keep giving it to foreign countries instead of investing in roads,hospitals,schools etc for the benefit of our own people as I’m sure that’s a smart idea.🙄Anyway, I’m staying out of this as whinging isn’t going to change anything the country is cactus and has been for decades now and only going to get worse.