kingies and salmon busting up in middle harbour

JayC Fisho

Kingies and salmon has been busting up in sugarloaf bay quite constantly in the past few weeks, the bay is stacked with just uncountable tiny white bait. I've went fishing in a same spot for 3 times in 3 different days last week and I can see them busting up simultaneously in different directions. I tried multiple different types of lures but they weren't taking the lure. Maybe its because the water was too clear or my retrieving and jigging methods just not working ?  Im just started lure fishing a while ago so still need so much tips on how to target kingies on lures 

oh wow, thanks for the quote derek, yeah the bait balls were exactly those "eye fish", they were just circling right in front of me.

um tackle shops I've been to don't seem to sell those 'eye' lures, do you know any shops I might be able to get them?

Thanks

By the way, i got a photo of the eyefish as i accidentally hooked one on my micro metal jig.

image.thumb.png.35cb52587a2fdf7692a0075c268fb93f.png

You should be able to get STRIKE TIGER soft plastics. They are a Tasmanian manufacturer who produce tiny soft plastic (nymphs, etc) and equally tiny jig heads. They resemble those tiny baitfish. Not sure they will suffice for Kingfish though. Go online and check them out, you may find something in their range that is suitable.

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

Any small metal lure about the same size and colour of those baitfish will work. There is a similar thing going on here, the smallest fish looking metal "slug" I could find got a fish nearly every cast, lots of decent Tailor mixed in with them here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

um tackle shops I've been to don't seem to sell those 'eye' lures, do you know any shops I might be able to get them?

I do. Where are you based? I go to one store in Mona Vale or another in Drummoyne to get mine.

These are the sort of ones I use (various key words, eye, candy, bay, anchovy, flies)

image.png.7e26620d637d621ca2c0579ebf3618e0.png

image.png.25e31bfc5e123eb6405d38a2b310ca8a.png

image.png.38c64c3591a0d832718c08485557e514.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, noelm said:

Any small metal lure about the same size and colour of those baitfish will work. There is a similar thing going on here, the smallest fish looking metal "slug" I could find got a fish nearly every cast, lots of decent Tailor mixed in with them here.

try a small barrel sinker wrapped in foil with line through it and hook and swivel at each end

Jim

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DerekD said:

I do. Where are you based? I go to one store in Mona Vale or another in Drummoyne to get mine.

These are the sort of ones I use (various key words, eye, candy, bay, anchovy, flies)

oh, I'm based in lower north shore around willougby area. Thanks for the suggestions, just went to the shop's website to look them up and unfortunately they are all sold out 😬

i guess its a sign of the lures being effective then. Do you happen to have any spare ones that i might be able to buy from you?

16 hours ago, noelm said:

Thanks, will definitely try a silvery one next time, Last time i used the blue metal on the photo above i got two follow ups but they didnt hit it and got spooked so soon as they saw me on the rock. May i ask how do you retrieve / jig your slug? 

6 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

Thanks, will definitely try a silvery one next time, Last time i used the blue metal on the photo above i got two follow ups but they didnt hit it and got spooked so soon as they saw me on the rock. May i ask how do you retrieve / jig your slug? 

Just cast as far as you can, and wind it back in as fast as you can, nothing fancy, just wind like crazy.....it helps if you can work out which way the school is going, and cast in front of them, but that's not always possible, so cast close and wind. I just got a few more yesterday, got the smallest ones I could find, they are cheap most of the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jot said:

try a small barrel sinker wrapped in foil with line through it and hook and swivel at each end

Jim

Those long skinny sinkers you buy in little bags at supermarkets are pretty good, either painted plain old white, or left as is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

oh, I'm based in lower north shore around willougby area. Thanks for the suggestions, just went to the shop's website to look them up and unfortunately they are all sold out 😬

i guess its a sign of the lures being effective then. Do you happen to have any spare ones that i might be able to buy from you?

Hi @JayC Fisho,

I'm swinging past a few of the stores I mentioned over the next few days. I'll have a look and see what they have.

I also have a few sitting around somewhere.

I'm also very close to the Willoughby area so can probably sort out something. They are usually around $6 each give or take.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Would a small, clear/translucent soft plastic paddle tail be a good option here? 

We've had some success with the Berkley powerbait Casper clear minnows. The paddle tails don't move well enough in my opinion as it is difficult to make them dart.

Early season it is a bit harder as the baitfish are pretty small.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:45 AM, DerekD said:

I bought one of these clear anchovy ones from the Drummoyne store, the fly fisho guy recommended tying it to the bottom of a super small metal like a twisty. I suppose it's like two chances.

I haven't got around to catching on it yet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @JayC Fisho,

I'm swinging past a few of the stores I mentioned over the next few days. I'll have a look and see what they have.

I also have a few sitting around somewhere.

I'm also very close to the Willoughby area so can probably sort out something. They are usually around $6 each give or take.

I'm planning to pay a visit too someday next week if I'm free. 

Please tell me if they do have stock of the ones u sent me / similar options thankss

sure we can probably sort out something. Around how many do you have sitting around? I think ill just need 2 or 3 of them for now.