You Can't Kill an Alvey

Green Hornet

Thanks for sharing Pete. My first ever job was as a shirt salesman on the ground floor at Gowings, I’ve followed their ups and downs in a difficult and ever changing retail market and great to hear that an Aussie business has taken on another ailing Aussie business. Gowings we’re always marketed as the “complete mens store”, buy a suit, get your Sox, underwater, have a feed and, moving from underground store to level 3 to get a haircut and shave. They really looked after the ex- servicemen and many blokes used to go their to have a cuppa upstairs and catch-up and share war stories.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete that is fantastic news!! Definitely what all the Alvey fans wanted to hear. Made my day!

Hi Waza it is fantastic news, that’s for sure. Not that I need any new reels, but to know spare parts will be available for some time to come is certainly reassuring.

• Like 1

From what I have heard they are going to keep manufacturing in Australia.

Yes gowings closed their retail stores years back , they are now a company that is a bit like westfarmers , they own quite a few other companies Best n less being one of them .

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, XD351 said:

From what I have heard they are going to keep manufacturing in Australia.

Yes gowings closed their retail stores years back , they are now a company that is a bit like westfarmers , they own quite a few other companies Best n less being one of them .

They said they will still be manufacturing in Australia. They mentioned Gowings also own a company that is a major producer of surfing equipment. From what I can find its boards, fins etc, so that may help in future production and also to expect new, higher tech model reels to hit the shelves.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3