First time kayak voyage tomorrow

Denisfisho

Hey all,

After a long time of wanting to buy one and some inspiration from the detailed guides here written by @DerekD along with him helping me with some questions, I took the plunge and bought myself a kayak and picked it up last evening.

Sitting in my garage awaiting it's maiden voyage tomorrow.

I've never used a kayak before but I've been doing a lot of research and from my understanding of the conditions they seem to be decent for Saturday in Wollongong in sheltered areas.

Will only be bringing an ultra light rod but the main goal is to just try out the kayak, no big aim to catch fish, main goal just to get back in one piece.

Since I joined this forum more than a year ago it's been quite an interesting journey, from catching my first fish with lures, to targeting blackfish, to targeting squid and now kayak fishing.

If anyone in lake illawarra sees a guy in a blue white/black white kayak looking lost that's probably me.

Lets see how we go tomorrow :D 

Edited by Denisfisho
typos
  • Like 5

Good luck Denisfisho. Have a great time getting used to your new kayak and keep safe. It's been a fruitful year + for you since signing up to Fishraider. Keep us all posted on your experiences as you learn more about your new fishing capabilities. bn

WOW that was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had.

Launched from one of the beaches at Windang just getting a hang of things for the first time. Kayak felt quick on the water and easy to use.

The kayak was surprisingly stable (Osprey from <retailer removed>) but being just at the max user weight a sponge was needed to take water out the first go.

The wife who had tried to stop me buying a kayak the whole way through then took a few turns with it and loved it just as much as I did, had to get in the water and chase her to ask for the kayak back lol.

The first time I had brought everything I needed to fish but then of course I forgot the rod but we went back home took the rod and went down to a local harbour. After nearly 5 previous donut sessions of land based squid fishing my beginners luck kicked in and I hooked onto a squid first cast and they were seemingly everywhere because I ended up with 5 arrowhead squid, wife was shocked as she'd probably lost faith after all the prior donut sessions. I find they taste equally as good to calamari.

It seems like the land based fishermen nearby didn't catch much but the spot I had access to seemed to be where the squid were, I'm guessing overtime less targeted areas may become locations where squid might gather or just by being inaccessible meant it was less pressurised and increased my chances. The squid jig used was a 2.2 yamashita in bright pink and while I know some say that colour makes no difference, my catch rates with full pink or orange are a league above all other colours.

I feel like this new kayak has opened up a whole new world when it comes to fishing and I'm truly excited to start getting into it. Thanks again to Derek for being there to take my calls and answer my beginner questions.

317626084_1588338284945389_6001674690768162273_n.jpg

Edited by Little_Flatty
Removed retailer
  • Like 7