Advice needed - 2nd hand Hobie

R E G I C Y C L E

cracks around the seat area has been a common issue in older hobies, look for general excessive scratches on the underside, if its beat up you'll know the previous owner didn't care about it & just dragged it around. The scupper holes in the rear behind the seat has also been a common for cracks.

The drives are pretty durable but I have seen the most common issue on them is the plastic holes that keep the foot pedal in place and allow you to change the position of the pedal depending on leg length etc can wear out which may cause the foot pedal to slip to the next size down. Besides that look for the usual bent fin rods if it isn't kick up fins, rust and if it runs smoothly. If the drive isn't turbo fins id highly recommend upgrading them.

• Like 1

BTW the grease in drive dries out over time. You can service them yourself and there are a few videos out there about how to do it.

I've got a 2010 Revolution with the most basic seat possible. I don't mind it but most of my mates got the blow up cushion for it. Worth getting a slightly later model for the more comfortable seat.

Just check for cracks in places such as where the drives sit or where the seat locks into the body.

Elastics get weak over time too. Can also be fixed.

Check that you get smooth movement with the rudder up/down and the left right cables.

Does the drive move smoothly. The cables can be too tight or too loose (easily adjusted).

Are the fin rods bent?

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

Check front and rear of hull for thing plastic, pop your head in the hatch and shine a torch on the front and rear, if you see much light, its been worn hence dragged. just keep that in mind. Mine was like that on the rear so I just got the rear guard and marine goop and filled it. 

The clips for the pedal drive are a weak point, also the hole where the pedal drive goes through is prone to cracking. 

rudder lines wear out so check the rudder is fully functioning 

pedal dive, ive sheared the wheel and a couple of other bits. 

I bought mine this year, it was a YT kayak and then an offshore one, so its been used hard. came with minor issues but after a bit of care going strong, the hull is pretty bullet proof. you look after it, it will last, if you dont expect a living nightmare, like most boats though lol

if your chasing a revo, mates selling his, its in pretty good condition happy to dm you the details 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Thanks all! Very helpful.

I'll mostly be using it on freshwater impoundments, with the occasional foray into Sydney harbour/botany etc, so I'm leaning towards the Outback.

Also seems like the Outback is the most widely available and best priced on the second hand market.

Yeah the outback would suit your needs best. Just be aware the new one is very heavy, much more then the older. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Thanks @slothparade appreciate the info

Fyi, there's quite a few people here who own outbacks, they all know the ins and outs of their kayaks, best to have a chat to them. Derek and I own a revo, Derek knows much more than me though. Good luck with it and hope you have fun and stay safe 

• Like 1

Just now, slothparade said:

Fyi, there's quite a few people here who own outbacks, they all know the ins and outs of their kayaks, best to have a chat to them. Derek and I own a revo, Derek knows much more than me though. Good luck with it and hope you have fun and stay safe 

Just as a warning, the outback doesn't surf launch well 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input.

Meet the new family member.20221215_191144.thumb.jpg.04c0049f6ed4830aa2c0135e6600ffe0.jpg

2013 Hobie Outback

Mirage drive with upgraded turbo fins

Lowrance sounder

2 piece paddle

2x extended rod holders

2x Live well tackle boxes

Trolley

All for $1500. The guy had used it less then 10 times and it's been in storage the last 10 years. Minimal scratching on the hull, no rust on the drive gear. The only slight issue I could find is one rudder cable seems a bit slack, so the rudder sits of centre when the tiller is centered. Some of the bungee cords are also perished, but he gave me a length of cord for replacement.

I feel like I got a good deal and look forward to putting in some time on the water. Hopefully will have a report this weekend!

• Like 2

Looks good. It has the seat that some people don't find overly comfortable. You can still get a blow up seat accessory which you could slip under the velcro tabs.

https://hws.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/72020028.jpg

Suspect the grease in the drive may have dried out. It is probably the V2 drive with the bushes rather than roller bearings.

See this for future reference but I use Inox MX6 grease as it is water resistant and the colour doesn't stain as much

https://slhobie.com.au/how-to-service-a-hobie-miragedrive/

One warning - can you please get a photograph of the lock in location into the hull for the seat. Original design used an expanding plug system but this would damage the hull. They changed the design to a quick quarter turn type system (which I think the 2013 series had changed to). You can get adapter kits.

The expander plug system looks like this

81265101 expanding plug connectors hobie seat

The new twist lock adapters look like this but you need to glue a matching insert into the holes.

Hobie kayak seat twist-lock-adapter kit

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

Once a year is usually more than enough even with a lot of trips out. I went several years without and realised it was getting harder to use and it really hit home when I tried someone else's drive. That is when I started researching servicing. Hasn't been an issue since. Careful about not over-tightening the allen screws as you can split the plastic (not admitting to anything here :mfr_lol:

Those are the side clips. The ones I'm talking a about are right underneath the butt cr@ck where the part you sit on meets the back support.

There are two velcro flaps and they are hiding underneath these. They stop the seat from sliding around. If you get the cushion then they lock under the same velcro flaps.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b0311ac71b76393d27af16eed10518e.jpeg

Edited by DerekD