Georges River 12/12 - Windy Afternoon Flattie

kantong

I found myself with a very small window (30 minutes!!) to head out for a quick flick down at the Georges River. 

So with my flick stick and soft plastics in hand, I headed down to howling winds and a dropping tide.

10 minutes in and landed this little flattie, measured 38cm. Released to grow to bigger for next time. I dropped another fish a short time later, didn't get a look but suspect tailor.

Lost a few SPs to toads or tailor and was wondering do I re-rig or call it. There was plenty more places to have a flick around, but my fishing window was rapidly closing on me.

I decided to call it. As the great Mr Rogers says "Know when to fold" 

Quietly happy that it wasn't a donut session.

Gear used:

Rod: Daiwa TD Black Wicked Weasel

Reel: Daiwa Freams 3000

Line: 8lb braid with 8lb FC

Lure: Berkley Gulp 3inch Pogy in Smelt with 1/12 jighead

flattie 2.jpg

flattie1.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kantong said:

Thanks @Green Hornet, I need to get some blades, any recommendations?

Go for something in the 30-40mm range, they’re a heavy lure for their size so make sure you get something that suits the casting specs of your rod.

All brands will catch fish. Where I am its predominantly sand bottom/no snags, so I prefer the Ecogear VX and ZX range, though they are expensive. The ZX style with their assist hooks are less prone to snags in rough country.

Natural colours and black are my favorites, especially those with a strip of bright orange on the belly.

My best retrieve is to let them sit on the bottom for 3-5 seconds then give them a quick short lift of about 30-45cm before letting them settle again and repeat.

• Like 4