Fireline Keeps Breaking

robthefisherman

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

I have 4lb yellow fireline on my sp outfit and it snaps everytime I pull the line tight when attaching the leader, I thought maybe the line was getting a bit old so I went out and bought a new roll and the samething happened.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not putting a whole lot of pressure on the knot certainly no more than a decent fish would.

Any tips on what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

The fireline seems to break just before and not at the knot. :mad3:

I have 4lb yellow fireline on my sp outfit and it snaps everytime I pull the line tight when attaching the leader, I thought maybe the line was getting a bit old so I went out and bought a new roll and the samething happened.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not putting a whole lot of pressure on the knot certainly no more than a decent fish would.

yes i had a spool of 10lb with absolutly no knot strength at all, no matter what knot i tied it would break under the slightest tension. send your spool back and get a new one.

Totally support what the others are saying - every now and then Berkely put out a batch of very poor quality fireline that simply doesn't work.

I have had to return two spools due to the exact problem being discussed - one 30lb and one 4lb - although each time Berkely have been very good about replacing them. I'm sure if you took the spool back to the shop you bought it from Rob they'd be well aware of the problem and replace it without too many hassles.

The new fireline is even worse by the way - the extra thin stuff - I could snap 30lb line in my hands without any problems when my local tackle shop showed me their defective spool. He now refuses to stock the stuff as a result.

It's a shame that the product is so inconsistent as, when it works, it is the best line out there IMHO.

Mondo

Im currently using the current batch of 4lb PINK fireline and have nothing but praise for it! Only exception is the line turns into a whitish colour after extensive use however is still functioning like the day i bought it. I gave mine a true test on some 2.5kg snapper recently and it held up well.

However, i too have heard a heap of reports of the occasional bad batch, which - as mondo points out, is a great shame as the stuff is the best out there when at the top of its game.

Rob have you tried "TUF LINE" at least I think thats how it's spelt, I've got some 10 pound on a 4kg outfit and never had any problems with it other then it's very limp and wraps around the rod tip more often then fire line does

I've been using the Tortue nacrylon (14lb) and Platypus braid (4lb) without problems, they don't fluff or separate like hot bonded braid and seem to work well with a locked blood. The Platypus is a little easier on the back pocket, I've only been topshotting with nacrylon. I use a locked half blood knot with about 10 wraps.

Cheers

i got 20lb TUF LINE on my okuma VS-200 baitcaster which im gonna use 2morrow for the first time. and on my bass and bream out fit i have 8lb fireline on my shimano sienna 2500FB spinning reel which i have no problems with and the casting distance is great. cheers :1fishing1:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest danielinbyron

//////////?????????????????????did you get the next lot from the same batch at the same shop...????