Seven Shillings Beach access

Mike Sydney

Hi all,

Does anyone know the situation on fishing and access to this beach? I haven’t fished this area and would be interested in hearing if you can access the beach further east of the Murray Rose / Redleaf Pool .

I can see on street view that there’s a gate from the baths to the eastern stretch of beach, which suggests it might not have full public access.

Is anyone across what the access is for land based fishing - are we allowed, do the gates close at night etc

Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I thought by law all beaches are accessable to the Public? 

I thought so too but I saw this article and started doubting. It’s a long drive if it’s not accessible outside daylight hours

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g552126-d23928960-Reviews-Seven_Shillings_Beach-Woollahra_New_South_Wales.html

“There is a curious division between the western and eastern halves of the beach. At least it’s curious in Australia where, by and large, the beaches are mostly Crown land and are regarded as belonging to everyone. 
Just past the pool, there’s a fence and whilst you can walk right on through the gate, there’s a nearby a sign saying that access is limited. Beyond the gate, the area above high water is lined by multi-million dollar mansions is privately owned so according to the sign, the public can only use the beach in daylight hours below high water. I’m not sure how, or even if, this is enforced and I’m not sure how you know where the high or low water mark is. In any case, plenty of people were on the beach.”

Edited by Mike Sydney

I know that what occurs in Port Hacking, similar to what you read, is that the owners of the waterfront properties pay a yearly lease to the government for use of the land. It was called Permissive Occupancy, and it MAY now be  incorporated under Crown Land Management Act 2016. (a long winded Act). My mother pays it on her waterfront property, somewhere around $15,000 per year, so you can work out that the government is raking in a lot of money from these waterfront properties.

People have public access to walk along these waterfront properties below the high tide mark, though many of them are on rocky foreshores so that would be difficult. I think the mark is Mean High Tide Mark. Try and work that out on the actual property, especially those with brick or stone built fronts, and rocky areas.

Beach fronts are not a problem. Trying to walk along the rocky waterfronts is different - the owners of the properties would probably consider a person to be trepassing, so the person would be tossed into the water, assaulted, or bitten by many dogs on these properties. Overstep the High Tide Mark, and you would be considered to be Trepassing.

As for the day time only use, cannot tell you. It may be covered in the Act.

• Thanks 1