South Australia trip

Restyle

g day raiders, I've been itching to get out for a serious trip & with covid now mostly (hopefully gone) the south Australia trip i had planned years back will probably be on the cards again.

I plan on heading down there over the course of a couple days later in the year around mid November hopefully. If i had a 4wd id be heading down there right now. Having never left NSW/ACT, or the country it'll be defiantly a monster trip & require alot of preparation. I got all the fishing gear id need with a general plan of hopping from town to town over the course of a couple weeks, the issue is where to start? there so much damn good fishing down there its hard to even find a starting location!

the basic plan i have now is start at ether smoky bay or cednua and spend a day or two (living out of the car) fishing local jettys / beaches for salmon, squid, king George whiting & other bread n butter species to both acquire some fresh bait and tick off some new species that aren't available in nsw. Id then move on to flowers bay to fish the jetty for squid & KGW & possibly the nearby beaches for jew, salmon and possibly a cheeky bronzie as i know they are giant down there. Id then move on towards dog fence beach where i intend to spend about a week with the primary goal of pulling in a XL jew. Id then drive part way across the nullaboar just to see it before pulling a u-turn and heading back with the possibility of a cheeky fish if i can be bothered.

I know the areas are stupidly remove & i do plan on bringing back up fuel, tools, car parts, recovery gear & plenty of food, water & more importantly bait! I'm prepared for the trip to be a solo one as none of my mates seem to keen on such a long trip which is fine. 

Are there any locals or even previous visitors to the far west cost of south Australia who may have some previous insights, previous mistakes they've since learned from or any recommendations to what to expect or even spots 

One thing about the Nullarbor is the price of fuel. Check the distances and prices if you are heading far west along it, as the prices are stacked against you - 5 or so years ago, the last 3 service stations in the western part were owned by the same thieving businessman, and all prices were the same.

As for fishing down that way, local knowledge will help. Plenty of jetties in places, however, some are over shallow water and you will need high tide to be able to fish at the end of them. Usually a bit of distance to haul up anything heavy.

One way to look for squid spots along the wharves is where there are a lot of black squid ink stains along it.

At the northern point of the Great Australian Bight is a whale viewing lookout, along the Nullarbor road, but by November I would expect the whales to be gone and heading south.

Edited by Yowie

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Not too sure Sydney to SA is really a "mission" these days, but there is plenty of good fishing to be had, there is a member on here from SA, he might chime in and give a bit of info.

PM me with your phone number...  theres too much to sort out by posts.  You can give the itinery when its sorted...

Oh.... if you start at Smokey Bay.... you may never leave.....

Also, start thinking about your route over.  If you dont need to come via Adelaide you can do a big bypass and save a lot of time.

This site will help with fuel prices... you may already be using it.

https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/-35.03565903809076/138.80140074361418

• Like 2

21 hours ago, noelm said:

Not too sure Sydney to SA is really a "mission" these days, but there is plenty of good fishing to be had, there is a member on here from SA, he might chime in and give a bit of info.

quite a mission for me as i'm yet to even leave nsw never alone the country 

19 hours ago, Yowie said:

One thing about the Nullarbor is the price of fuel. Check the distances and prices if you are heading far west along it, as the prices are stacked against you - 5 or so years ago, the last 3 service stations in the western part were owned by the same thieving businessman, and all prices were the same.

As for fishing down that way, local knowledge will help. Plenty of jetties in places, however, some are over shallow water and you will need high tide to be able to fish at the end of them. Usually a bit of distance to haul up anything heavy.

One way to look for squid spots along the wharves is where there are a lot of black squid ink stains along it.

At the northern point of the Great Australian Bight is a whale viewing lookout, along the Nullarbor road, but by November I would expect the whales to be gone and heading south.

yeah fuel will be a interesting one, i know its quite abit expensive compared to the city. 

18 hours ago, dmck said:

PM me with your phone number...  theres too much to sort out by posts.  You can give the itinery when its sorted...

Oh.... if you start at Smokey Bay.... you may never leave.....

Also, start thinking about your route over.  If you dont need to come via Adelaide you can do a big bypass and save a lot of time.

This site will help with fuel prices... you may already be using it.

https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/-35.03565903809076/138.80140074361418

sent you a pm!
wonder what you mean by never leaving smokey bay? sounds like a good thing and it'll beat sh*tney anyday! I dont even intent on stopping in any city, had enough of sydney as it is! Anyway, never heard of petrol spy, very handy site ill be defently using! cheers.

anyay upon doing some further research (and being lazy to include in original post as i got bored from writing) it seems you cannot just turn up and throw a line in on dogfence beach, you have to pay $30pp per night which is pretty absurb. I wonder how many people actually pay that or if it only applies to the few camp grounds along the beach area. I don't really intend on staying in a designated camp ground as it'll be too much effort going back and fourth between the camp grounds and fishing gutters. I'd prefer to find a gutter, drop a swag & fish it for a night before packing up and possibly moving to a new one the following day if the fishing's average. 

I haven't looked too much into other beaches yet but i wouldn't be surprised if the government found some way to corporatise them under some silly excuse.

Smokey Bay is a small village not too far from Ceduna.

Travellers heading to Ceduna dont call in coz they want to get there after a long day driving... travellers leaving Ceduna dont call in coz they have just got 'on the road'.

It is a holiday resort for Eyre Peninsula 'locals'....................  and those who 'know'....

PM sent back to you... and I will call....

• Like 1