Balmain Blackfish

kilp

When to Balmain location , 2 hours before the run in tide, tried two locations , second one gave us a few big fat fish and a few bust off aswell, great session on a beautiful sunny day. Thanks again DerekD for all the advise and Kracka aswell.

balmain blackfish.jpg

• Like 11

Nice catch, I had some nice Ocean Blackfish last night, caught a few rippers on fly, should have taken a few photos, but that's just the way it is. They are great eating, fillet, skin, cut the centre blood line away, along with the row of bones, the bigger the fish the better with Blackfish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Nice catch, I had some nice Ocean Blackfish last night, caught a few rippers on fly, should have taken a few photos, but that's just the way it is. They are great eating, fillet, skin, cut the centre blood line away, along with the row of bones, the bigger the fish the better with Blackfish.

Hi Noel, I am sure there are previous posts on here regarding how best to cook blackfish, can you point me in the right direction? Any suggestions on how you or other cook blackfish ?

My favourite is about as simple as it can get, fillet, skin, remove centre blood line, leaving you with two kind of long skinny fillets, roll in flour, cook it hot oil until brown.....job done! A bit of easy simple salad and/or chips and it's dinner time! I have done them in batter, crumbs and steamed, and all are OK, but, just rolled in flour brings out the fresh fish and not a dozen spices, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just a note, my wife won't eat Blackfish, or my daughter, they both reckon they are no good.....until last night, I insisted they try some, both agreed it was top notch eating quality. Small river/lake Blackfish tend to be "weedy" but as they get bigger, their diet changes to lots of Prawns, Nippers and stuff like that, (as well as weed) when I cleaned the three I kept for last nights dinner, none of them had much weed in their stomachs, it was mostly bread (my burley) and little tiny crab things.

• Like 1

I'm with Noel, simple is best!

We always 'just' fillet and skin, preferred size is max 35cm. 

Cooking is simple too  . . . sometimes we dip in egg and panko breadcrumbs or sometimes coat in flour and then shallow pan fry in a bit of oil and butter.

To me they are a light flavoured fish and bloody awesome.

cheers, stu.

Edited by Burger
  • Like 3

Yep, they sure are, only thing better is Black Drummer! Flathead and Snapper and so on are good, maybe even great, but, fresh caught and looked after big Blackfish are fantastic. The flavour (if there is such a description) is "delicate" not fishy or strong, not soft and mushy, just firm fish. I always get into big trouble for this at dinner time, but.....a fillet, rolled in a slice of buttered fresh bread is to die for (and sometimes I nearly do)

ooops, sorry got out of synch Yowie posted in the middle....

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1