Rigs for leatherjackets.

fredflathead

Taking the Grandkids out for days fishing in Smith Creek, I have spot that I catch leatherjackets. I use a rig with a float so that they can see the bite and for the life of me I cannot remember how I rigged it. I also use a pasternoster rig with no8 or 10 long shank hooks with small pieces of squid soaked in aniseed and garlic.

I am getting too old to remember, this one of the best fish to target for the grandkids as they catch them and want to stay fishing.

A float is about as simple as it gets, from lightly weighted floats to simple plastic "Bobby corks" with a spring clip on them to attach to the line. I wouldn't worry about soaking the Squid in any secret brews, Lestherjackets don't care. What exactly do you want to know about float fishing?

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Never used a float for jackets myself  but  from memory  a handline  with  3_4 kg mono was what we used down at Greenwich ferry wharf always leather jackets there peeled prawns we used but yeah squid probably better. Can you still fish off of ferry wharves ?

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

A float is about as simple as it gets, from lightly weighted floats to simple plastic "Bobby corks" with a spring clip on them to attach to the line. I wouldn't worry about soaking the Squid in any secret brews, Lestherjackets don't care. What exactly do you want to know about float fishing?

I think it was a fixed float at a certain depth.

Sometimes 'jackets can be fairly deep around pylons and unless you can tie a "stopper knot" to set the depth, then winding in is going to be an issue for kids. You will need a suitable float, a method to keep it at a set depth, and a couple of small sinkers under the float to get your hook and bait down. I personally think a couple of cheap hand lines, about 6-9 pound line, a small long shank hook and a swivel about 12" from the hook, with a small bean sinker running onto the swivel will be best, kids love hand lines, don't throw out, just dangle your line down near the pylons. Best of luck, and good on you for taking kids fishing.

edit......I just reread your original post, not too sure if you're going to fish off a jetty or the shore.

Edited by noelm

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Sometimes 'jackets can be fairly deep around pylons and unless you can tie a "stopper knot" to set the depth, then winding in is going to be an issue for kids. You will need a suitable float, a method to keep it at a set depth, and a couple of small sinkers under the float to get your hook and bait down. I personally think a couple of cheap hand lines, about 6-9 pound line, a small long shank hook and a swivel about 12" from the hook, with a small bean sinker running onto the swivel will be best, kids love hand lines, don't throw out, just dangle your line down near the pylons. Best of luck, and good on you for taking kids fishing.

edit......I just reread your original post, not too sure if you're going to fish off a jetty or the shore.

Fishing from my boat in Smith Creek - Cowan Creek, the boys have rods 6ft they enjoy catching leatherjackets..

• Like 1

OK, for kids, it's pretty hard to go past those little plastic red and white "bubble floats" they are cheap as chips, and have a little spring clip thing to connect them to the line, a couple of split shot below the float to get your hook down and you're done. The big thing with those floats is, if the kids keep winding when the float is at the rod tip (as all kids do) then it  just slides along the line on the spring clip. I find it a good idea to take a marker pen, and if/when you start getting fish, mark the float position on the line with the pen, that way, you can keep it in the right spot when it gets wound to the hook!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Hey @fredflathead, I usually use a paternoster rig (8lb) with 2 long shank no 6 hooks and gently lift it up and down (tea bagging) till I feel weight, then wind in. I find if you don’t use long shank hooks I get bitten off (sharp teeth these critters, don’t let kids get their finger near the mouth- but you probably know that)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

This may be silly but do you reckon a paternoster rig but with a float on top would work, so you could have 2 baits out while possibly reducing the risk of snagging.

but I was thinking about this more for rock fishing where you would have your regular bait on the bottom (would have to be something heavy to stop it getting tangled like a whole pilchard) and have a surf popper on the top loop as an extra attractant for tailor, salmon and so on

Edited by Fishin4AUT