Long cast reel

humesy

Howdy,

Does anybody have experience with surf fishing using a long cast reel? I am just wondering how much farther they can cast. I am considering a Penn Spinfisher VI. I have read that they are not as durable as a standard spin reel but would trade off if it lasts me 5 years and puts in a decent cast.

How much extra distance do you get? 

Many thanks.

Hi,

I do a lot of beach fishing.

I have the above reel . They cast very well. I use Mono line. I also think it is the type of rod you use, that does also help.

I have several Fin-Nor reels & the LT 100 casts a country mile.

The Penn reels made today are a lot better than they use to be.

My two cents worth.

Cheers.

Mates got one, they're not really all that multifunctional. If you want a basically beach only reel, they're great and cast a mile. He gets some insane distance. Don't really worry about durability, Penns just keep going, 5 years is extremely short life for a Penn. They're not going to be the fanciest or smoothest but they're just reliable. 

If you want a dedicated rock / surf setup and are willing to spend the money it's up to you. Mate was thinking of selling his as it just doesn't get used enough. 

Also a standard reel will usually cast out far enough, and has the versatility of being used in other situations. 

All in all, up to you. If beach fishing is your thing absolutely go for it. The Penn won't let you down. 

Cheers guys,

Good tips. I bought the reel and christened it last night. It got put to good use straight away on a 50cm tailor followed by 68cm jew and a couple of bronzies. It was quite a hot session actually 😁 (landed 2 other jewies and missed a couple of hook-ups). Wouldn't say the casting difference was massive but it does send out a jewie bait out nicely and has a great smooth action. I will also give it a go with some big plastics and hard bodies at some stage. I do love my beach fishing so sure I will get my $255 worth.

Cheers!

• Like 2