Thredbo River 12 n 13th Jan

Hi Raiders,

I did a short trip to the Snowies last week and caught some trout. My mate, Patrick, caught a nice 74cm Atlantic salmon but he did not want to appear in the photo here. We fished the Thredbo river on the 12th and Rainbow lake on the 13th. Fishing was difficult both days as the fish were finicky. The temperature got up to around 30C on both days.  I drew first blood with my 42cm brown in the morning, just downriver from Paddy's corner with a Rapala jointed lure and Patrick had the salmon on a celta in the same area around noon.

Thredbo2.thumb.jpg.c5f963233ab3f0f9f3003b969b624cfc.jpg

1981516493_Thredbo1.thumb.jpg.ca374077735d5a927e84df616c83b3e2.jpg

This is me with Dusty, Patrick's blue heeler, who is very interested in the salmon. The water temperature was about 23C in the river.

We fished the Diggings in the late afternoon but there was too much disturbance from the many campers in the area. 2 went past us on stand up paddle boards whilst we were casting some 500 meters up river from the camp grounds. We called it a day after that.

The next day, we fished Rainbow lake, and caught 2 trout each but we released them as we had enough fish from the 12th. Mine were on a pink Tassie devil, Pat had one on a dry fly and one on a celta.

Thredbo3.thumb.jpg.f74e90235d62376ff2a4975c25815cd9.jpg

We also had some beautiful yabbies from the 2 dams on the property we were at.

Thredbo4.thumb.jpg.69c059dbd6c64c01e3815ba3697ae6f9.jpg

Regards Kit

ps the salmon would have been a release from Gadens

• Like 12

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good report and photos of a successful few days. I was going to ask was the Salmon an escapee from a hatchery. Fairly warm water for the comfort of those species...  bn

Hi Neil,

We spoke with Mitch, the hatchery manager, who said he had released salmon into the lake in the last 3-4 months. Patrick and Mitch are mates. We also had the "grand tour' of the hatchery with Mitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisecraft said:

Hi Neil,

We spoke with Mitch, the hatchery manager, who said he had released salmon into the lake in the last 3-4 months. Patrick and Mitch are mates. We also had the "grand tour' of the hatchery with Mitch.

Thanks for that. Very interesting places these Hatcheries, I learned so much about Native fish when I had a tour around the DPI Fisheries facility at Narrandera. There's a lot of work done behind the scenes to enhance our fishing opportunities. Cheers, bn