Should've gone fishing...

Little_Flatty

So this morning, I head out for a bike ride. It was raining, but healthy body, healthy mind, better angler, right?

Those of you who have ridden a bike in the rain will know that without mudguards, a skunk of water goes up your back, bringing with it whatever rubbish is on the road. I do have a dedicated wet weather bike, but it is currently in transition from becoming a family riding bike (with a bike seat on the back) to a wet-weather bike again.

Finish my ride, come home. Get the squidgy socks and shoes off. Make a coffee and make everyone breakfast. Then something falls from my back and I step on it. It left a dollop of slime on the floor. Ugh, what's that?

A slug falls off the sole of my (bare) foot! Yuck!

Hop on one foot to the pantry, get the kitchen paper, clean up my foot and the mess. All without uttering a single sound, lest the girls freak out.

Should've gone fishing instead!

• Haha 8

Ahhhh the joys of wet weather cycling . . . . .

I reckon you should have 'educated' the girls on the nature you brought home for them 🤣 

Nothing quite as ear piercing as the squeals of young girls around bugs/cockroaches/slugs etc!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

You city slickers, that’s just an every day occurrence in the country. 
Wait until you come flying around a corner on some bush track, run over a sun baking brown snake and fling him up into your lap. That will get you dancing.

May even get you killed ….. yikes.

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

This actually happened to a mate I was dirt bike riding with and luckily he wasn’t bitten. 
After that I never wanted to lead when we hit the trails.

I've ridden over multiple snakes while mountain biking... closest call i had was a red belly which struck at my leg, but got the rear spokes instead.

@Little_Flatty if you think slugs are gross, try leeches... i ride in the Blue Mtns regularly, and in the wet the nasty suckers flick up off the road, and love crawling into your socks and gorging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

I've ridden over multiple snakes while mountain biking... closest call i had was a red belly which struck at my leg, but got the rear spokes instead.

@Little_Flatty if you think slugs are gross, try leeches... i ride in the Blue Mtns regularly, and in the wet the nasty suckers flick up off the road, and love crawling into your socks and gorging.

Leeches and snakes...yuck! Does that happen at the bottom of the Andersons/Ingar trails? Miss those rides, used to put the Ingar, Andersons and Oaks all together in a morning for a great adventure and a decent training session whenever I got bored of long road rides. Those days are long gone for me now, hard to get away for more than a couple of hours! Maybe when the kids are older...

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Weren’t you working on bike for fishing ? Get the best of both worlds then ! 

Yep it's there, but I haven't used it for fishing yet! It's very useful for the shops though. Good reminder!