Rods in kayaks

fredflathead

In my case, light for lure work such as 10gram halco twisty, soft plastics and squid jigs, medium for trolling and dropping down squid baits for kings, heavy for dropping down squid baits unattended (in rod holder with drag backed off) on poor man's downrigger.

Fly rod gets left at home or I leave behind the heavy outfit.

Found the front rod holders in the seak the reels tend to get splashed so keep that in mind. For fresh water, I take max 2 rods, offshore take 3-4. I found putting clips on the leader was great as it allowed me to change rigs so quickly. I have a box of pre made rigs that comes on the kayak found that was an effective way of handling everything. I not to rig on the kayak as that splits your attention. Also quick tip with the seak, the rod holder that comes with it is a Scotty mount, so if you want to keep it, can use Scotty mounts for it.

Another thing with that is if your going to stand on it make sure the weight is well distributed, really doesn't like having undistributed weight. Another thing is when it starts to tip, not much chance to recover ot before fully tipping, unlike a hobie. Found the storage in the back awesome for a create, I put my pots or a create in the back and the wheels and sometimes pots on the front and use the hatch to drop them. You do tend to situp high and do get effected by the wind. 

Overall though, great kayak for inshore and fresh water. The handles can be a little bit of a weakness, and be a bit gentle with the rudder peddles, they can break 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

Found the front rod holders in the seak the reels tend to get splashed so keep that in mind. For fresh water, I take max 2 rods, offshore take 3-4. I found putting clips on the leader was great as it allowed me to change rigs so quickly. I have a box of pre made rigs that comes on the kayak found that was an effective way of handling everything. I not to rig on the kayak as that splits your attention. Also quick tip with the seak, the rod holder that comes with it is a Scotty mount, so if you want to keep it, can use Scotty mounts for it.

Another thing with that is if your going to stand on it make sure the weight is well distributed, really doesn't like having undistributed weight. Another thing is when it starts to tip, not much chance to recover ot before fully tipping, unlike a hobie. Found the storage in the back awesome for a create, I put my pots or a create in the back and the wheels and sometimes pots on the front and use the hatch to drop them. You do tend to situp high and do get effected by the wind. 

Overall though, great kayak for inshore and fresh water. The handles can be a little bit of a weakness, and be a bit gentle with the rudder peddles, they can break 

Thanks for the replies, 

On 2/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, fredflathead said:

Wondering why fishing in a kayak they have about 3 or more rods, is it so they don't have to rig up in the kayak? Last week on holidays at The Entrance a chap in the caravan park had 4 rods.

thanks, norm

Hey Norm,

It all depends what you’re wanting to achieve or target. I’m planning on hitting up some bream fishing kayak comps this year, so I would look at 3-4 rods with different applications in mind. 
The lures are already tied on to each rod, and I’ll use what I think is appropriate in that circumstance ( still learning lots too). I guess it’s all about economy of time and effectiveness, as opposed to spending 5 minutes changing changing over lure types.

ps good to see another Hawkesbury person here, I grew up in Glossodia

14 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Hey Norm,

It all depends what you’re wanting to achieve or target. I’m planning on hitting up some bream fishing kayak comps this year, so I would look at 3-4 rods with different applications in mind. 
The lures are already tied on to each rod, and I’ll use what I think is appropriate in that circumstance ( still learning lots too). I guess it’s all about economy of time and effectiveness, as opposed to spending 5 minutes changing changing over lure types.

ps good to see another Hawkesbury person here, I grew up in Glossodia

There is another Hawkesbury person as well. I have an 18 ft half cabin and have about 4 rods for different species so I don't think it should be different in a kayak only the space is what I was thinking of.

• Like 1

If you are taking multiple rods in a kayak, take care when casting, especially if some of those rods are upright behind your seat. I'm sure that everyone that has fished from a kayak has clobbered their stored rods on the back swing of a cast, resulting in at best a tangle, at worst rod(heart)break.

• Like 2

1 rod, pack as light as possible.. It seems like a great idea taking a heap of gear with you, until you get out on the water and you can’t move or get a fish onboard because you’re surrounded by clutter.

• Like 1