Couple of flatties in the Georges

jenno64

Headed out about 6:30 this morning into the Georges hoping to catch some nice poddies for a troll. Tried a few spots for nadda and decided to make the morning a lure session. Got the first flatty on a soft vibe off a drop-off then headed up river.  I hit a 1m deep spot and when the tide started to run in there was a bit of action and I picked up about 6 flatties but most undersized. You can see the size of one of the throw backs against a 120mm HB! Kept a few in the 40-50s alive in my livie tank and dispatched them back at the ramp. Not much to show but the fillets are in the fridge ready for a meal this week.

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

3 Flatties Feb 26 2023.jpg

• Like 14

22 hours ago, Larkin said:

Well done Rob! Again some nice flatties for the effort. 

Can’t beat the old beer battered flatty!

That's it, enough for a family feed!

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice eating sized flatties there Rob. Anything wiggling near them gets hit and eaten.

Yep the first one took a soft vibe and the other two smashed the big double clutch!

12 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great feed there!

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff, a nice bag of flatties. It always surprises me with how small flatties hit big lures.

Bang on! That little one was only twice the size of the lure!

Stay in the Georges Rob.

Fished a favourite deep water spot this morning near Lilli Pilli. 2 yakkas at first light, then they disappeared. Fresh yakka strips, squid, pillie on 3 lines. At sunup, only 1 line had a run but no hookup. All baits still on the hooks. Not even a little reddie or trumpeter biting.

The schools of surface fish from 2 weeks ago, not to be seen. Plenty of pillies jumping in places, lures tossed under, near, through the pillies for nothing.

At this time of year, the fish are normally ON. Can only put it down to sharks cruising about.

I could have pumped some nippers, run out tide, but decided too much to do at home, and nothing to clean except for the boat.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Yowie said:

Stay in the Georges Rob.

Fished a favourite deep water spot this morning near Lilli Pilli. 2 yakkas at first light, then they disappeared. Fresh yakka strips, squid, pillie on 3 lines. At sunup, only 1 line had a run but no hookup. All baits still on the hooks. Not even a little reddie or trumpeter biting.

The schools of surface fish from 2 weeks ago, not to be seen. Plenty of pillies jumping in places, lures tossed under, near, through the pillies for nothing.

At this time of year, the fish are normally ON. Can only put it down to sharks cruising about.

I could have pumped some nippers, run out tide, but decided too much to do at home, and nothing to clean except for the boat.

Sounds pretty weird Dave! Water is warm, there’s been some fresh here and there and I’ve seen plenty of surface action…maybe things will hot up as the big tides approach next week 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 2/28/2023 at 8:55 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Nice trio of fish there Rob. Given how you fish bigger baits and lures and consistently score good fish, and @wazatherfisherman's advice to up my lure size, I'm going to start giving it a go.

@Yowie I don't think I've ever heard of you not finding a few fish! The sharks must really be shutting everything down!

I enjoy fishing livies, especially big ones but it’s also good to go back to lures and focus on different tactics and spots🙏🏻

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Sounds pretty weird Dave! Water is warm, there’s been some fresh here and there and I’ve seen plenty of surface action…maybe things will hot up as the big tides approach next week 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is weird for this time of year. Called my mate and he could not understand it either. From previous years, I find the legal reddies show up best in late Feb, March, maybe April.

Mate fished in North West Arm, from his jetty, last night and pulled out a 50cm tailor, bitten off by another good one. He could not hook up a little reddie either, even the bream were scarce.