Cleaning Sunglasses

MarlinMadness

Hi Guys,

When you get sunscreen on the lense of your sunglasses, what is the best way to get the sunscreen off as that sunscreen is bloody sticky stuff and just smudges all over your glass lense.

Would be interested in hearing peoples theorys. I have heard some spit and a tissue is not too good as the tissue is made of wood particles and scratches your lense. That is what I normally do but with my new glasses I would like to look after these ones.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by Marlin-Madness

Gday Mate,

My missus is an optical dispenser, and she recommends a proper lens cleaner, or if your out and about, water on a tissue.. dry tissues scratch lens, but wet ones don't.

Hi Coast_Bloke,

Champion mate, thanks for this and even better the info is from somone who is in the 'eye field'!

So you are talking about this little bottles of spray you can get .

Cheers

Hi Coast_Bloke,

Champion mate, thanks for this and even better the info is from somone who is in the 'eye field'!

So you are talking about this little bottles of spray you can get .

Cheers

Yep little bottles of lens spray (see hint below), and a soft glasses hanky/cloth. Also you can get some water resistant crayon like sticks (like you use on snow goggles to stop fog) these are not to bad to resist things like suntan cream.

Hint: Save money by making your own lens cleaner, if you have "good" quality sunnies with polarised lens etc, then straight metho in a little spray bottle is all you need. If the sunnies are at the cheaper end of the scale put a drop of dishwashing detergent in the bottle with the metho.

Hope this helps.

Yep little bottles of lens spray (see hint below), and a soft glasses hanky/cloth. Also you can get some water resistant crayon like sticks (like you use on snow goggles to stop fog) these are not to bad to resist things like suntan cream.

Hint: Save money by making your own lens cleaner, if you have "good" quality sunnies with polarised lens etc, then straight metho in a little spray bottle is all you need. If the sunnies are at the cheaper end of the scale put a drop of dishwashing detergent in the bottle with the metho.

Hope this helps.

Hi mate,

Thanks so much. You have been more than helpful and certainly put me on the right direction to looking after my new glasses that I have just stoked with.

Cheers!!

Good tips there :biggrin2: Just out of interest I have asked the manufacturers of "Spotters" what they recommend. Post the reply when I get it.

One thing I like to do with my sunnies if its at all possible is give them a rinse in luke warm water or if thats not possible a rinse in fesh water before cleaning to get rid of salt cystals before cleaning them with lens cleaner. Saves scratching the lenses.

Guest maraudingmado

I just got sunnies with a prescription lens and are polarised as well so I will definitely be taking a keen interest on cleaning them as the sunnies cost me a pretty packet :(

Good tips there :biggrin2: Just out of interest I have asked the manufacturers of "Spotters" what they recommend. Post the reply when I get it.

One thing I like to do with my sunnies if its at all possible is give them a rinse in luke warm water or if thats not possible a rinse in fesh water before cleaning to get rid of salt cystals before cleaning them with lens cleaner. Saves scratching the lenses.

Hi Ken A,

Funny you say this as I have been in contact with Frank at Spotters as I bought a new pair of Spotter THUNDER Photochromatic sunglasses and I told Frank how suprised I am in how many Optometrist and eye stores either dont stock Spotters or have never heard of the brand. I was shocked when some retail employees just looked at me going "Umm what are spotters"! I quickly emailed Frank back about the sunscreen issue but awaiting his reply aswell so I look forward to seeing what he has to say to you.

NOTE: Australian Geographic has 20% off Spotters. Usually retail for $269.00, got them for $215.00 and they threw in some Spotter products with it. Very lucky!!!

I really appreciate the feedback guys. I might go and get a little bottle of that spray stuff, just to be safe, but love that metho idea.

Cheers.

I also wear glasses and the best way to clean them is what telco suggested. Although I don't get as personal with mine in the shower. :1prop: My sunnies have prescription lenses and I got the optometrist to add a polarising film or layer of some type to the lens. That way I got a pair of sunnies for fishing and general use. :thumbup:

Hi Telco and Bashir,

Thanks heaps for the basic 'style' of cleaning sunglasses. Sounds too easy to me. And Agree, that is getting personal with your glasses :1prop:

I will post what Frank from Spotters advises just as a FYI to everyone aswell.

But I have got the answer I need and really appreciate your efforts.

Regards

Marlin Madness.!!!

Hi Marlin-Madness

I have only just joined Fishraider and this is my first post, but have been a regular reader for quite a few months.

Both my wife and I wear prescription glasses and we clean our glasses Scotchbrite High Performance Cleaning cloths. You'll find them in your supermarket aisle near the cleaning sponges. These cloths are great for cleaning glass or mirrors. You can use them with or without cleaning solution to clean your glasses. Once the cloth gets dirty you can throw it in the washing machine (without fabric softner according to Telcobroker) and it will be ready to use again. The wife and I keep one in both our cars as we normally clean our glasses while sitting in traffic on the way to work.

Hope that helps

That'll do

Edited by That'll do...

Hi Marlin-Madness

I have only just joined Fishraider and this is my first post, but have been a regular reader for quite a few months.

Both my wife and I wear prescription glasses and we clean our glasses Scotchbrite High Performance Cleaning cloths. You'll find them in your supermarket aisle near the cleaning sponges. These cloths are great for cleaning glass or mirrors. You can use them with or without cleaning solution to clean your glasses. Once the cloth gets dirty you can throw it in the washing machine (without fabric softner according to Telcobroker) and it will be ready to use again. The wife and I keep one in both our cars as we normally clean our glasses while sitting in traffic on the way to work.

Hope that helps

That'll do

Hi and welcome, I will certainly grab one or two of those next time I go shopping.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman