How to learning Beach / surf fishing with lures

chain

Hi. I'm wanting to try beach fishing (around sydney) with lures but I don't know any terminology for water/surf features. Is there a starter book for complete novices that goes through everything from the beginning? what to look for at the beach etc. I've found a youtube channel for the lures so thats ok.. but no idea where to cast them into. thanks

• Like 1

Google or do a YouTube search on “how to read a beach” and there should be plenty of info.

What you should be looking for is the deeper water, which will most often appear as a rip, or areas where the waves aren’t breaking which is known as a gutter or a hole, depending on its shape. The hotspots to throw a lure are the very sides of the gutter or hole, right on the edges where the waves are breaking into the deeper water.

l just noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the site and if you use the search function ( the magnifying glass like icon, top right of the page) you’ll no doubt find a stack of good information.  Just type in something like “gutter” and you’ll be on your way.

• Like 4

Here is a simple guide to finding beach structures and some tips on fishing them .
https://www.salamanderbaittackle.com.au/reading-the-beach/

A gutter that is easy to see at low tide can be hidden at high tide and if you can view the beach from a high vantage point like a headland it can make it much easier and give will you a better picture of what is happening further along the beach than what you can see from sea level .

Here is a link to Roger Osborne YouTube channel - he does some great tutorials on beach fishing .

https://youtube.com/@RogerOsborneFishing

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, chain said:

Hi. I'm wanting to try beach fishing (around sydney) with lures but I don't know any terminology for water/surf features. Is there a starter book for complete novices that goes through everything from the beginning? what to look for at the beach etc. I've found a youtube channel for the lures so thats ok.. but no idea where to cast them into. thanks

I have you done much beach fishing? It may not be a good way to start (using lures). It's not very productive compared to bait fishing (from the beach) in my experience.