Manly Aquarium

frankS

Can anyone remember a aquarium at Fairy bower ( Manly ) ?

Way back in the memory banks I seem to recall fishing off the rocks there as a kid. I looked on google maps and there is nothing there that rings a bell with my memory.

I seem to recall catching the Manly ferry from the quay and lugging all my gear to fish off the rocks, this would have been late 50's early 60's .

Frank

That certainly rang a bell Frank so I did  a search and found it closed in 2018.

I could be wrong but I thought at one stage they had a Sunfish and were trying to feed it boiled eggs as there was a photo attached to the story. I can’t remember if it survived to be released but it didn’t work out. They also may have tried to keep a Tiger shark at one stage.

As for the fishing, sorry got nothing.

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Can anyone remember a aquarium at Fairy bower ( Manly ) ?

Way back in the memory banks I seem to recall fishing off the rocks there as a kid. I looked on google maps and there is nothing there that rings a bell with my memory.

I seem to recall catching the Manly ferry from the quay and lugging all my gear to fish off the rocks, this would have been late 50's early 60's .

Frank

Hi Frank I don't remember if there was one at Fairy Bower but there were the 2 at Manly I went to as a kid- one was on the eastern side of Manly ferry wharf, with a 'fun pier' next to it- it was just one large pool/tank that had all sorts of fish and plenty of sharks in it. I was probably more interested in the machines at the fun pier. I do remember people throwing coins and trying to land them on the back of the sharks- the largest were all Grey Nurse's.

The other one was to the west of the ferry wharf and you walked across the old boardwalk wharf to get there. I think t was called Manly Marineland and was a couple of story's high and circular. They had small tanks around the walls inside and divers would enter the tank and feed the fish and sharks (which was awesome bravery to a kid!) People used to fish off the rocks along that side and our next door neighbours over the back fence used to harvest sea-urchins there. There was also plenty of cunje along there

Neither might be the one you're referring to though

Regards Waza

Edited by wazatherfisherman
more info
  • Like 5

The memory is faint so it could have been anywhere, but I remember fishing there and I believe ( from memory ) the outer wall of the Aquarium had direct access to the ocean with large inlets so the sea water rushed into the viewing area and kept the fish airated. But it's a long time ago and I could be slightly mixed up with my memory. I never actually went into the aquarium .

I thought it was at fairy Bower but could have been the one at the wharf.

Frank

Definitely was an Aquarium as Wazza mentioned. My grandmother had a unit at Fairlight and we visited the Aquarium many times over the years.

I learnt to swim in the pool at Fairlight, lots of fond memories.

Edited by Burger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

est of the ferry wharf and you walked across the old boardwalk wharf to get there. I think t was called Manly Marineland and was a couple of story's high and circular. They had small tanks around the walls inside and divers would enter the tank and feed the fish and sharks (which was awesome bravery to a kid!)

This is what I remember well!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep the one to the west of the wharf was going till just a few years ago, now its in the process of being redeveloped. There is a small waterslide park next door that my kids like and plenty of squid and bream amongst the pylons, hard to get at without a boat I think and a bugger in any sort of southerly.