What fish is this?(Paradise Threadfin Bream)

Jfish

Question

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

I recon that’s a Paradise Threadfin Bream  (Pentapodus paradiseus.)

Yep it's a Blue faced Whiptail OR Paradise fish.

You can't see it in this photo but it would have had a distingt blue line between the body and the dorsal fin.

They are excellent Snapper bait and anything approaching 8 or so inches are great on the table although a bit fiddly to prepare.

Frank

• Like 6

@Blackfish @frankS I reckon you guys are right!  Based on the description online, it looks like it is a paradise threadfin bream (Pentapodus paradiseus).  Thank you very much!  Well done.  

@frankS Do you mean a blue line next to the dorsal fin?  If yes, then I can see a bit of it when I enlarge the photo.

11 hours ago, Jfish said:

@Blackfish @frankS I reckon you guys are right!  Based on the description online, it looks like it is a paradise threadfin bream (Pentapodus paradiseus).  Thank you very much!  Well done.  

@frankS Do you mean a blue line next to the dorsal fin?  If yes, then I can see a bit of it when I enlarge the photo.

Yes Blue line at the base of the dorsal fin and extends the full length of the dorsal. It gets it's name Whiptail as it has a extended portion of the upper tail fin shaped similar to a whip and of coarse it has Blue lines on the face.

Very pretty fish when caught but the colors fade upon it's death.

Frank

• Like 2