balmoral beach layout

faker

So I have been theory crafting around where i normally fish in past decade. and since i am trying to transition to a lure fisher on which areas would hold fish. I am thinking the red would be my guess of a hot spot. the Green is a weed beds I know of. The two reds in middle of beach is because there is some rocks and a drain in middle so I am guessing if i was a predator i would feed on stuff coming out or bait fish that uses the structure as hiding spot. the Top spot is because of rocks and structure and bottom hot spot is because its only clear part i can find that is clear of weeds and fish waiting outside of weeds to hunt especially flathead.

I will not include the wharf as i have not caught much after bonito run. I am not sure how accurate I am at assessment of surroundings but based on the anecdotal tests i ran today. not sure where you guys would identify likely places holding fish

image.thumb.png.dfa97aeac80dd46cc685c2fad04fad19.png

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

If I were fishing there I would start at the top red spot and flick a lure out to where the rock meets the sand and fan the cast out to my right , then move along 30m and start fanning casts out from left to right and repeat until I got to the next rock outcrop and then I would put a few cast in where the rock meets the sand . Move to the other side and repeat until I hit the baths , I would then work in under the baths and then all the way around them in amongst the pylons under the baths and wharf . At the boathouse there is a gap between the baths walkway and the boathouse wharf- this would cop a workout then back onto the beach to the other side of the boathouse . I would the try to get a lure under there then continue fanning casts out as I walk the beach - trying to get to the edge of the weed until I hit the last headland where I would fish the edges of where the rocks meet the sand . I would probably change lures once I got to the baths as it is a different technique- more of a finesse approach , on the beach I would probably start with a paddle tail on a 1/4 or 3/8 head  depending on how far I have to cast and how much wind there is   and on the baths maybe a grub or prawn on a light head maybe a 1/12 or 1/16 - if it looks a bit gnarly in there I would be running a weedless rig. On beaches like these don’t discount lures like wobblers and spoons - things like wonder wobblers cast a country mile have a decent action at relatively low retrieve rates - always worth a try ! 
By all means try to identify areas that are more likely to hold fish but never discount other areas around  them - the trick is to work an area then move , this will help you to map out a location and when you do catch a fish out of the blue you need to think why did I catch that fish right there ? Fish are in a spot for a reason - it is a fish just moving through , it is hiding , feeding or breeding 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

The only way you will find out is give it a go!  All the very best.

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

If I were fishing there I would start at the top red spot and flick a lure out to where the rock meets the sand and fan the cast out to my right , then move along 30m and start fanning casts out from left to right and repeat until I got to the next rock outcrop and then I would put a few cast in where the rock meets the sand . Move to the other side and repeat until I hit the baths , I would then work in under the baths and then all the way around them in amongst the pylons under the baths and wharf . At the boathouse there is a gap between the baths walkway and the boathouse wharf- this would cop a workout then back onto the beach to the other side of the boathouse . I would the try to get a lure under there then continue fanning casts out as I walk the beach - trying to get to the edge of the weed until I hit the last headland where I would fish the edges of where the rocks meet the sand . I would probably change lures once I got to the baths as it is a different technique- more of a finesse approach , on the beach I would probably start with a paddle tail on a 1/4 or 3/8 head  depending on how far I have to cast and how much wind there is   and on the baths maybe a grub or prawn on a light head maybe a 1/12 or 1/16 - if it looks a bit gnarly in there I would be running a weedless rig. On beaches like these don’t discount lures like wobblers and spoons - things like wonder wobblers cast a country mile have a decent action at relatively low retrieve rates - always worth a try ! 
By all means try to identify areas that are more likely to hold fish but never discount other areas around  them - the trick is to work an area then move , this will help you to map out a location and when you do catch a fish out of the blue you need to think why did I catch that fish right there ? Fish are in a spot for a reason - it is a fish just moving through , it is hiding , feeding or breeding 

Already did with jerk shad but the baths cannot be fished as its banned. but probably try wading out to get more distance

• Like 1