Sydney FAD

It's been a while but I finally decided that the forecast for ANZAC day was going to make for decent fishing conditions so out I went. Launched early, away from the ramp by 5.45 and headed to the bait grounds. Yakkas everywhere, put 8 or 9 in the live bait tank then off to the FAD. So much for my reading of the forecasts, it was real sloppy.
Started by trolling a couple of skirted lures from about a mile away from the FAD and all around it for a while for no hits. So time to get a live bait in. Dropped 2 down on a weighted line and slow trolled round and round the FAD then drifter around the FAD for Zero hits. While I was doing this I saw a couple of boats hook up on unweighted baits so got out the bait caster and threw a Yakka at the FAD with a single hook through the nose. Within minutes I had my first hook up, a nice Dolly that went just over 60cm. A fish on ice at last. After that I lost a bait with out seeing the fish and then hooked what looked like a bigger Dolly that jumped like crazy before spitting the hook.
Then it seemed to quieten down so headed to the Foul grounds area for a drift. Spend an hour there for not a touch. After that I headed to a favorite Flathead drift of mine just off Manly and over the next couple of hours landed 5 Flathead, all just about legal size but not really worth keeping, I prefer 40cm+ for eating. Also landed a 30cm Flounder which went back as well.

By then it was time to head in so dropped out a couple of hard bodied lures and trolled my way back to the harbor. No hits but it was more comfortable trolling at 5 knots than trying to run hard into the slop.

Not the best day out but at least I had a decent Dolly which I turned into Fish Taco's for dinner.

• Like 12

One fish is better than none!

were you using circles or live bait hooks?

I ask as I tried circle hooks once and had the Dollie’s spit them and the two I caught on them had swallowed the circle and it gut hooked them. Now just use live bait hooks and get much better hook ups on them.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 4:41 PM, Larkin said:

One fish is better than none!

were you using circles or live bait hooks?

I ask as I tried circle hooks once and had the Dollie’s spit them and the two I caught on them had swallowed the circle and it gut hooked them. Now just use live bait hooks and get much better hook ups on them.

On the live bait I was casting at the FAD I was using circle hooks, the one I got to the boat was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth. You make a good point though. Next time I'll try live bait hooks. Thanks for the tip.👍

• Like 1

Great report Gordo ... once out there its a matter of working with whatever the conditions throw at you. Live bait hooks are the go (they even catch a Zoran fish at times) - also try lighter and longer leader lengths if you are not getting bites. Shy fish - small hook and light leader. When they're on - larger hooks and heavier leaders reduce the amount of bite offs and swallowed hooks.  Dollies are good on the chew for sure. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1