NSW DPI FISHERIES Tailor on the bite, not Tailor-made for bait!

FROM NSW DPI FISHERIES FACEBOOK PAGE 
Tailor on the bite, not Tailor-made for bait!
Over the Easter school holiday weekend, Fisheries officers from Sydney South District were conducting routine compliance checks of fishers at Foreshore Road boat ramp. Officers seized 30 Tailor from 2 licenced recreational fishers. 17 of the fish were of prohibited size, being less than 30cm. The fishers admitted they caught 30 Tailor between them that day and were unaware of the legal-size limit or daily bag/possession limit.
This time of year, we see a lot of small Tailor near shore estuarine areas along with the NSW coast. Fisheries Officers patrolling Botany Bay and surrounding areas are detecting large number of offences relating to prohibited size Tailor. The department would like to remind recreational fishers that the legal length for Tailor is 30cm with a bag limit of 10 per licensed recreational fisher.
Fishers are also reminded that legislation states, a fisher must not mutilate a fish that has a size limit in any manner, other than gutting or removing the gills or scales. Tailor under 30cm can NOT be used as bait or live bait!
It is important that all recreational fishers are aware of bag and size limits for all species of fish. With several resources available, not knowing the legislation is not an excuse! Download the FishSmart app now here - bit.ly/3LTNfCn or view recreational size and bag limits here - bit.ly/39wXL55
You can do your part to help protect the State's precious fisheries resources by reporting illegal fishing activity to the NSW Fishers Watch phoneline on 1800 043 536 or online here - https://fal.cn/3fMUz

DPI TAILOR.jpg

DPI TAILOR 2.jpg
  • Like 5

I find it amazing that people use undersize fish for bait and think it's "OK" because it's bait! I often see tiny Bream, Whiting and Blackfish used for live bait for Flathead, and people quite openly have them live in a bucket to use as bait. This practice is NOT legal in any way. People who flaunt the laws need to be fined big time, I don't profess to be a greeny or anything like that, and quite happily take fish for a "feed"  but I try to comply with any relevant bag and size limits, catch methods and so on, it's not that hard!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 6

Whenever you see pics of undersize tailor on so many social media sites, the comments flow along the lines of “should have put it out as a livie for a jew“.

I know it’s not an excuse, but sometimes it’s easy to see how less educated fishos become confused and can make a potentially expensive mistake.

• Like 3

Yep agree, sometimes we make a "mistake" one time crabbing with my wife I put the nets in the night before, in the dark I miscounted, and put in 9 instead of the allowable 8, when we were setting them I realised my error and only set 8. Just be sheer dumb luck, it was one of the very few days the inspectors were out. They came over, asked what we were up to, I told them, they looked at my line of floats, checked one for name and so on, then asked about the trap in the boat, I explained my miscount, they looked happy enough and just said OK, so, sometimes we can make an honest mistake, but.......undersized fish, and over the bag limit is not a "mistake" in my opinion!

• Like 3

Years ago I’d caught a few land based flathead and was cautioned by a fisheries officer for filleting them on the riverbank. Luckily for me I could show him the frames to prove none of the fish were undersize.

That was something I’d always done since I was a kid and the thought it was illegal had never entered my mind. Makes you wonder when you see it done by others virtually daily on the riverbank or rocks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep agree, sometimes we make a "mistake" one time crabbing with my wife I put the nets in the night before, in the dark I miscounted, and put in 9 instead of the allowable 8, when we were setting them I realised my error and only set 8. Just be sheer dumb luck, it was one of the very few days the inspectors were out. They came over, asked what we were up to, I told them, they looked at my line of floats, checked one for name and so on, then asked about the trap in the boat, I explained my miscount, they looked happy enough and just said OK, so, sometimes we can make an honest mistake, but.......undersized fish, and over the bag limit is not a "mistake" in my opinion!

One trap too many, by mistake, not a problem with that as it was not deployed.

17 undersized tailor in a bag over the number limit, not a mistake.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Whenever you see pics of undersize tailor on so many social media sites, the comments flow along the lines of “should have put it out as a livie for a jew“.

I know it’s not an excuse, but sometimes it’s easy to see how less educated fishos become confused and can make a potentially expensive mistake.

Too true @Green Hornet

This is why we have always had strict rules here on fishraider. Mods and members pick these sort of pics up fairly quickly.

Members are very helpful here to teach newbies how to find the information. 

• Like 1