New: Introducing On Water Detection!

Mike from DECKEE

Hi everyone – The latest free upgrade has arrived: DECKEE now automatically activates when you are on the water, and will magically do things you often forget to do!

62.png

DECKEE smartly detects when you are on the water and shares your GPS location with your Safety Contacts or the community, based on your privacy preferences. 

On the DECKEE map you can be anonymous, share your profile, or go completely invisible – the choice is yours. Add your private Safety Contacts so they can easily follow along whenever you're out on the water.

You can get the free app here on iOS and Android: deckee.com/download

58.png

You can now spot other DECKEE users on waterways around the world (or your local area) and look out for each other. With On Water Detection, now everyone can be visible on the water, not just the vessels with AIS equipment. See where everyone is boating, fishing or sailing all in one free app.

If you have any thoughts or feedback on this upgrade, let me know! What could we do to improve it further?

• Like 2

Many people won't want to be sharing their location for obvious reasons but how does this work if you are outside of phone reception ? Ive been fishing around the Victorian boarder and phone reception is lost within the first 15-20km of leaving Eden, making the next 40km ghost land, would be much the same on wide offshore trips.

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Many people won't want to be sharing their location for obvious reasons but how does this work if you are outside of phone reception ? Ive been fishing around the Victorian boarder and phone reception is lost within the first 15-20km of leaving Eden, making the next 40km ghost land, would be much the same on wide offshore trips.

From my experience, it requires a mobile data connection which means either a) cell tower range, or b) there is a satellite internet connection on board and the mobile device is wi-fi connected to that.

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

I’m no expert on anything technical but the Navtronics App works on my phone when there is definitely no reception. Maybe something like that.

Different scenario. The mobile devices have built in GPS receivers - they can receive a signal from the  GPS satellites flying overhead and decode your location from that information for the various Apps to use. But the phones do not have a transmitter to communicate their location back to the satellite (like your EPIRB has). The phones have transmitters tuned to communicate with the phone cell towers.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

From my experience, it requires a mobile data connection which means either a) cell tower range, or b) there is a satellite internet connection on board and the mobile device is wi-fi connected to that.

Different scenario. The mobile devices have built in GPS receivers - they can receive a signal from the  GPS satellites flying overhead and decode your location from that information for the various Apps to use. But the phones do not have a transmitter to communicate their location back to the satellite (like your EPIRB has). The phones have transmitters tuned to communicate with the phone cell towers.

Cheers Zoran

Yes I do the track function with marine rescue which at least gives an idea of the heading I was on before dropping out of range.

I am sure Mike will give more updates/detail but here is what was posted on LinkedIn.

Deckee users were popping up in Alaska, Virgin Islands and even Madeira, an archipelago off north west coast of Africa. 

Amazing locations. Posts from fishos in these places would be cool. 

IMG_6958.jpeg