Tips on Fishing in Mudgee (Cudgegong River)

Gengar

Hi Raiders!

Going to Mudgee over the winter school holidays for an extended family gathering. I wasn't going to bring my gear but just noticed the place we staying backs onto the Cudgegong River! I mean thats just convenient to pass up but I have never done any fresh water fishing especially over winter. I will likely get the kids to use bait so thinking of just using prawns on a running rig? As for lures, is it the usual smallish soft plastic (eg 2.5 inch grubz) and small crankbaits? 

Also any idea what i fish would find in the Cudgegong river?

Cheers. Thanks!

Edited by Gengar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Should be murray cod and golden perch, worms make good bait for most freshwater species 

I've also caught cod on chicken breast

Thanks for replying. Never caught cods or perch, what size hook would you recommend for bait fishing?

any thoughts on what lures would be effective?

Since its possibly fairly snaggy, best lure choices may be a 4 inch grub plastic rigged weedless and weighted 1/8 to 1/4 or alternatively a spinnerbait in a 3/8 is a pretty good allrounder. Beef up the leader to what you might normally use, something around 25lb to 30 lb should be OK.

With this approach, if its snaggy, you'll lose less gear than HBs or plastics on normal jigheads.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gengar said:

Thanks for replying. Never caught cods or perch, what size hook would you recommend for bait fishing?

any thoughts on what lures would be effective?

The lure fishing csn be tough in the rivers during winter but as Steve said weedless plastic grub and spinnerbaits, also a 3/8oz chatterbait with a 3 inch soft plastic work well on smaller cod and perch

IMG_20230515_075858_941.jpg.49143e5fd318462444cd7763f2bac967.jpg

IMG_20230515_075902_675.jpg.11c630be8f8b182331538c0732643c84.jpg

If you're fishing worms or prawns for bait a 1/0 hook would be my choice and if using bogger baits like chicken for cod I'd go a 5/0 circle hook

• Like 2

I forgot parts of the cudgegong are trout water which will be closed season to all forms of fishing when you're there, there's still part of the river that's open

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/619929/Trout-Waters-Primefacts-Central-2021.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdpKuKmvb-AhXHSmwGHRSAAiIQFnoECB4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0US3JgwqOaphTxJcqLVaB7

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I forgot parts of the cudgegong are trout water which will be closed season to all forms of fishing when you're there, there's still part of the river that's open

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/619929/Trout-Waters-Primefacts-Central-2021.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdpKuKmvb-AhXHSmwGHRSAAiIQFnoECB4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0US3JgwqOaphTxJcqLVaB7

Had no idea so thanks for sharing. Just checked and fortunately we are staying just downsteam from Lawson Park Weir at Mudgee so i should be good!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, Hill373737 said:

Since its possibly fairly snaggy, best lure choices may be a 4 inch grub plastic rigged weedless and weighted 1/8 to 1/4 or alternatively a spinnerbait in a 3/8 is a pretty good allrounder. Beef up the leader to what you might normally use, something around 25lb to 30 lb should be OK.

With this approach, if its snaggy, you'll lose less gear than HBs or plastics on normal jigheads.

Thanks for the tips! I normally do 10lb leader but will up that. I dont have any spinnerbait so let me get a couple to try out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

The lure fishing csn be tough in the rivers during winter but as Steve said weedless plastic grub and spinnerbaits, also a 3/8oz chatterbait with a 3 inch soft plastic work well on smaller cod and perch

IMG_20230515_075858_941.jpg.49143e5fd318462444cd7763f2bac967.jpgill

If you're fishing worms or prawns for bait a 1/0 hook would be my choice and if using bogger baits like chicken for cod I'd go a 5/0 circle hook

Always learning things on this forum. Never heard or seen these chatterbaits. I think my plan will be to cast some plastics, crank and spinnerbaits and I will get the boys to try prawns or worms. Will report back and hopefully get some fish when we get there in July!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:36 AM, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

You could give Windamere a crack. Australia's premier yella fishery. You might be 3 months early though. Also Dunns Swamp is not too far away and has fish. So beautiful that I named my Fishraider profile after it. In the national park so check if its open after fires.

Will have a look at those spots. Thanks for sharing!