SCAM ALERTS - ACMA SITE HELP

mrsswordfisherman

https://www.acma.gov.au/

GOOD INFO ON ABOVE SITE

Have you received a call threatening to disconnect your phone service, claiming to be from the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) or another government agency? Be wary – this is a scam.

Scammers are targeting people who speak Mandarin by pretending to represent a government agency. Some calls give an English language option.

The caller will claim there has been illegal activity involving the recipient’s phone number and threaten to disconnect the service. These calls may look as if they are coming from an actual ACMA phone number. This is a trick used by scammers to hide their number and convince you the call is genuine. Callers might also mention genuine ACMA phone numbers and website addresses to appear legitimate.

If you receive one of these calls, hang up. Scammers are trying to trick you into providing your personal information. The ACMA will never call and threaten to disconnect your phone number.

If you have any doubt whether a call you’ve received from the ACMA is legitimate, hang up and contact our Customer Service Centre on 1300 850 115 or at info@acma.gov.au.

Scammers target everyone. Learn more about how to protect yourself and your family from phone scams on the ACMA website and make a report to Scamwatch.

If you’re concerned that your identity has been compromised or you’ve been a victim of a scam, contact your bank immediately and call IDCARE on 1800 595 160.

A version of this scam alert is also provided in Simplified Chinese:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I get a few similar claiming to be from Telstra or NBN and I usually string them along for a while, then tell them I am working on an operative from the Federal Police and the call has been traced, and Interpol will be at their door in minutes, they swear then hang up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1. Only answer your phone if you have an ID on the caller :) 

2. If you answer any that are unidentified do not speak or make a sound. It is usually voice activated and produces the automated response. If it isn't activated by your voice it will disconnect after a few seconds and they won't use the number again. 

If a real person attempts to talk to you just hang up, no point playing with these idiots. They must be very tired of people worldwide saying they are police or interpol or having call tracked scenarios. No wonder they tell us to #$@#&& :074:

Block numbers. I am also tried of my email boxes being bombarded by mail with links and rubbish in them. It has become out of control in the last 5 or so years. 

Gumtree oh boy isn't that full of scammers too!! Amazingly they all have a son or relative that will come and collect an item, sight unseen, after you pay blah blah

Its a funny old world isnt it 

• Like 1

Scammers are getting better and better, they just prey on the unsuspecting, lots use websites that appear very real, or say they are representing some official company, just be alert, no Government body will ask for banking/credit/password details over the phone or email/website.

• Like 1

I like playing with these fools.

After their speel, I tell them it has been recorded & will be fowarded on to the Fedral Police. 

None of them ever come back again.I  wonder why. Very disappointing.

General piece of advice, relating to communications (text, phone, email...whatever):

Any business or government agency that you deal with, will address you by name.  Not as 'Customer' or some other generic term.

But still be wary.  My personal email address is james.my_surname@something.com.au  so I watch out for emails to "Dear james" as opposed to "Dear James".

Be careful out there!

7 hours ago, noelm said:

I get a few similar claiming to be from Telstra or NBN and I usually string them along for a while, then tell them I am working on an operative from the Federal Police and the call has been traced, and Interpol will be at their door in minutes, they swear then hang up.

Bloke I know says he’s with ASIO and asks how they got this number, that’s it already been traced and they should expect visitors shortly 😂

19 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

1. Only answer your phone if you have an ID on the caller :) 

2. If you answer any that are unidentified do not speak or make a sound. It is usually voice activated and produces the automated response. If it isn't activated by your voice it will disconnect after a few seconds and they won't use the number again. 

If a real person attempts to talk to you just hang up, no point playing with these idiots. They must be very tired of people worldwide saying they are police or interpol or having call tracked scenarios. No wonder they tell us to #$@#&& :074:

Block numbers. I am also tried of my email boxes being bombarded by mail with links and rubbish in them. It has become out of control in the last 5 or so years. 

Gumtree oh boy isn't that full of scammers too!! Amazingly they all have a son or relative that will come and collect an item, sight unseen, after you pay blah blah

Its a funny old world isn't it 

It is definitely a worrying world we live in today...like walking in a minefield EVERY DAY for many of us old, dumb people.

I attended a "Tech Savvy Seniors" short course last year and found myself with 7 other seniors older than me, who possessed even fewer Technological skills than me. The first module was "Cyber Security". By the end of the lesson, which included the teacher relating the circumstances of her being scammed, every student was ready to throw their devices in the bin. Every one of us left the lesson with an acknowledgment that we were easy targets for these elaborate scammers and there was little we could do about it other than to be super cynical.

Sure, the new world of technology has provided some benefits, particularly in communication and digital imaging. It has been easy to stay in touch with friends and family, to share pictures of our lives, all over the world. But the analogy of the minefield is real...every step you are waiting for the CLICK/BOOM.

bn

• Like 2
  • Sad 1