Boat stuff versus garden duties

BaitDropper

Many thanks for starting this post BaitDropper. It has been interesting to hear how others determine their priorities when working out how to juggle available time. Of course, we never know how much time we have, nor do we know how our quality of life is going to be. We all assume that our present status quo will be maintained, but, rest assured, it will change some day.

How fortunate we all are though to be able to have such a dilemma as to not know how best to fill in our time. We do indeed live in the lucky country.

Thanks to everyone for joining in and commenting on this post. This issue is common to many of us, and as long as we consider those closest to us when determining the path to take, our choice is the right one.

Cheers everyone,

bn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very wise words there BN, life changes so quick, either through illness or just "age" I find myself almost unable to use a tall ladder these days, no idea how/when that happened, I have been using them all my life, even "Rock hopping" to my "secret" fishing spot is not as easy as it was a year ago, don't know what happens, you just get unbalanced or something! That said, as long as I work at my own pace, I can do almost anything around the house.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4

Just to add, sometimes when you retire, you often wonder how you had time to go to work, when you take in grandkids school runs (both high school and primary) kids sports, doing "stuff" for your own kids and other "jobs" it's a pretty full life at times.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:05 PM, Hill373737 said:

... and finally, I live by this, heard it in a song once....

"Do your living while your living, as there ain't no coming back!!"

That’s a great phrase there Hill. Something similar was used in “The Crow staring Brendan Lee” and also a in a song by “Unkle. Eye for a Eye” Plus I bet many other songs as well over the years. These are 2 of my favourites anyhow.

PS. I went for a fish the other night. 
3 Duskys, 1 may have been legal. All released.

Multiple Bream. 2 may have been legal. All released.

1 Luderick. Undersized. Released.

It got me thinking, I had good bait, correct rig but was it the wrong tide. 
life is a learning experience keeping the mind active whether that’s in work or retirement with hobbies and up here there is so many things do do and the community encourages, its great.

Lastly, a fellow turned up at the ramp the other night because they have good fish cleaning tables. He had 10 very good size Tailor that he had just caught, off the rocks he said and got them in 30 minutes as there were plenty. I didn’t ask where as I thought that was a bit much and I could imagine him thinking the next night I’d be down there stopping him getting to his spot. That’s if he wanted to go.

So, More thinking on my behalf,  I know there was a fair Southerly swell running, so it would have been North/Northeast facing and it would have been around the top of the tide. 
Catching the fish is ok but the challenge of finding them is what motivates me.

I think I read that @dirvin21 and Amy, said he was going to see how many species he could catch through winter up here, again I don’t think it’s so much about a dead fish in the boat but the challenge of catching them.

And that what keeps the mind active.

I’m not a Star Trek fan but “Live long and prosper”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

I think I read that @dirvin21 and Amy, said he was going to see how many species he could catch through winter up here, again I don’t think it’s so much about a dead fish in the boat but the challenge of catching them.

That's what we're doing, setting ourselves a challenge to keep motivated 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blackfish said:

That’s a great phrase there Hill. Something similar was used in “The Crow staring Brendan Lee” and also a in a song by “Unkle. Eye for a Eye” Plus I bet many other songs as well over the years. These are 2 of my favourites anyhow.

PS. I went for a fish the other night. 
3 Duskys, 1 may have been legal. All released.

Multiple Bream. 2 may have been legal. All released.

1 Luderick. Undersized. Released.

It got me thinking, I had good bait, correct rig but was it the wrong tide. 
life is a learning experience keeping the mind active whether that’s in work or retirement with hobbies and up here there is so many things do do and the community encourages, its great.

Lastly, a fellow turned up at the ramp the other night because they have good fish cleaning tables. He had 10 very good size Tailor that he had just caught, off the rocks he said and got them in 30 minutes as there were plenty. I didn’t ask where as I thought that was a bit much and I could imagine him thinking the next night I’d be down there stopping him getting to his spot. That’s if he wanted to go.

So, More thinking on my behalf,  I know there was a fair Southerly swell running, so it would have been North/Northeast facing and it would have been around the top of the tide. 
Catching the fish is ok but the challenge of finding them is what motivates me.

I’m not a Star Trek fan but “Live long and prosper”

Great that you got out fishing in your new environment and had some success too. I would have asked the guy with the Tailor for suggestions on where to try. You like to work things out for yourself. I remember when we first moved here and locals realised I was a keen angler, they would show me photos of huge Cod they had caught. But they would sooner be set on fire than tell me anything which could be helpful. That's because I'm a "blow-in", I haven't been here since the first fleet days...apparently that's essential criteria for getting local knowledge. Many years later and they are still the same, but friendlier. SUCH IS LIFE.

bn

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

That's what we're doing, setting ourselves a challenge to keep motivated 

Thats a great challenge, it will get tougher as you get through the year and knock off the easier species, although for you Dave, that includes Jacks and GTs!! How are you and Amy tracking so far? 🙂

I set myself challenges each year, it definitely keeps you motivated. At the start of this year, I set myself a target of 75 Murray Cod with 2 fish over a metre. With a little more than 4 months of cod fishing to go in the local waterways, I'm on 42 cod but the biggest ytd is 77cm .......I'm hoping for a good winter at Split Rock!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great that you got out fishing in your new environment and had some success too. I would have asked the guy with the Tailor for suggestions on where to try. You like to work things out for yourself. I remember when we first moved here and locals realised I was a keen angler, they would show me photos of huge Cod they had caught. But they would sooner be set on fire than tell me anything which could be helpful. That's because I'm a "blow-in", I haven't been here since the first fleet days...apparently that's essential criteria for getting local knowledge. Many years later and they are still the same, but friendlier. SUCH IS LIFE.

bn

haha!! I've had a bit of that Neil .... a few times I've been shown a photo of a cod and told it was caught it in the Namoi .... that covers a lot of country!

To be fair though, there were a couple of people up here who really helped me learn about cod and tackle, and without giving spots away, they were happy to share info on what worked for them and where to look for cod at different times of the year. The guys at the local tackle shop are also very good, though their advice usually ends with me opening my wallet.

I think that since cod can be very territorial especially in the rivers, other fishos can be quite secretive about actual spots they fish. I've already experienced catching a cod on a snag, then a week or so later, catching a similar sized fish on the same snag. Without tagging its hard to know if its the same fish but I reckon there is every chance it is especially if its in water that down't see a lot of fishing pressure.

Hilly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Thats a great challenge, it will get tougher as you get through the year and knock off the easier species, although for you Dave, that includes Jacks and GTs!! How are you and Amy tracking so far? 🙂

I set myself challenges each year, it definitely keeps you motivated. At the start of this year, I set myself a target of 75 Murray Cod with 2 fish over a metre. With a little more than 4 months of cod fishing to go in the local waterways, I'm on 42 cod but the biggest ytd is 77cm .......I'm hoping for a good winter at Split Rock!

Our challenge is to catch as many species as possible over the 3 months of winter aiming to keep us off the warm recliner chairs over the winter months starting with a booked trip to copeton early June 🥶

I'm quite confident in a winter GT  a winter jack that's the prize🤌

• Like 3