Hunting for John dory

faker

• faker changed the title to Hunting for John dory

They can be tricky to catch, I have had the most success with near dead Yellowtail, fish right in/on/near the pylons of a jetty (in clean water) or fished right on the bottom in deep water from a boat. You also seem to catch a few during Flathead season in the ocean, they grab Flathead you have just hooked, and hang on all the way to the top.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Just type “dory” into the search function and you’ll find more than enough information to get you started.

Oddly enough they’re an extremely rare capture down my way (only ever seen one). I’ve spoken to @wazatherfisherman about this and we believe the tidal run in the local river and creeks is too strong.

well i am seeing if anyone caught them in sydney harbor yet

We used to get them out off Clifton gardens , I haven’t fished there for years but you can always go and give it a go . They were never a common catch , more a welcome by catch . 

Fishing NZ waters, I would have to say that you statement " they were never a common catch, more a welcome by catch "  is right on the money for me. You could never pick it. I was fishing in a sheltered bay many years back in NZ in the corromandle area, next to an oyster farm,  the wind was up so we found calmer conditions. I, for the first and only time, had a 1-2 hour session on John Dory, it was a surprise to get the first one, then they continued on the bite for that 1-2 hours as we drifted around the oyster farm, beautiful eating fish. We re tried the very same area, next day and a few more days while we were in the area camping, we never got another. I've not caught any here in Aussie over the last 25 plus years I've been back. For me, there one of the most illusive fish I've ever caught, would be nice to know the " voodoo" needed to target them, I have no idea.

But a beautiful table fish..

I remember watching a NZ show called fish on and they pulled John Dory in off a wharf one after another .

We used to get them out around the marker buoys off Clifton , we were fishing for flathead and used to get to odd dory when we got close to the kelp beds on middle head .