Slow going...

Been a good few weeks since I landed a legal fish, so I thought I owe you all a report. Winter fishing and me don't get a long, but this winter I've committed to fishing right through it.

Got down to Meadowbank yesterday morning at about 5:30am and started casting. High tide on the flats is always a good option, but of late, my bigger lures haven't been getting much love. So back to bream gear and the Crucis travel rod that @DerekD and I have been raving about. Lure was a gulp 3 inch minnow, rigged on a 1/8oz jighead. No mucking around when the fish are hard to come by!

Dropped a little pest tailor early on. Then about twenty minutes later, hooked up to this guy:

image.png.3d184f8f015e5e1ae5c628eef0e5e0ac.png

Legal? No. Remarkable? Well, for Meadowbank, this is the biggest tailor I have ever caught. Maybe they are getting bigger as everyone is suggesting.

Towards the end of the session, hooked up to this guy:

image.png.92db8584dcff9e28602b77951544cd3e.png

Got to be happy with that!

Fished on for another ten mins, but soon it was time to go home and get to work.

Absolutely frozen, but worth it.

• Like 14

Haha, it’s definitely freezing out there at that time of the morning!!

well done Mike, at least you got your fix. Always good getting a fish at the end of a slow session to make it all worth while. 👍

• Like 1

Well done Mike. I really admire your opportunistic approach to your fishing...short, sharp sessions as you dash around within your busy life pattern. Not ideal for fantastic results but you do ok so that has to be satisfying. Keep fishing, bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Well done Mike. I really admire your opportunistic approach to your fishing...short, sharp sessions as you dash around within your busy life pattern. Not ideal for fantastic results but you do ok so that has to be satisfying. Keep fishing, bn

Yep, not great for 50kg mulloway or LBG marlin, but smaller fish are fun to catch as well (except maybe for 15cm chopper tailor which are the bane of my existence). I will one day return to more epic adventures as the kids become more independent and/or when my career slows down, but for now this fills the bucket!

By the way, using one of your bowls for breakfast this morning 😎

• Like 3