lost alvey blackfish reel

I have lost or missed placed my black fishing gear.

While at The Entrance 2 months ago, my landing net was stolen and I think my blackfish gear or it is in my boat. I am at The Entrance now and whilst packing the caravan could not find my gear.  The rig was a  Jarvis Walker Black Queen rod with an Avley blackfish reel.

I have a Wilson Blackfish rod waiting at BCF when I get back, what type of reel should go on the rod?

The sad part about all of this is to replace the Alvey which had a  floating line.

Thanks, Norm

• Sad 7

If you are on a budget another option would be a second hand Steelite if you can find one that spins well.

Note that the Steelite will not be able to be turned for casting like some Alvey's can.

If you are flush with cash look at an Alvey 475CP, Okuma Aventa VT-1002 or a Tempo. All are terrific centrepins.

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about you losing your gear. 
All good info on a replacement reels above and Burger mentions some great alternatives that could balance a little nicer on your new Wilson rod, as it’s a light blank and an Alvey blackfish reel is pretty heavy and better suited to longer, ocean rods.  
That being said, if you have your heart set on an Alvey, you can still buy them new as they’re back in production again. Take a look on Alvey’s website for more details.

• Like 4

The new Luderick special comes in two forms , a stainless back plate and a graphite back plate - I had the former but dropped it and buggered the spool beyond repair and a new spool was nearly as dear as a new reel . I got the graphite one as it was cheaper and lighter but essentially the same reel as the old one .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Burger said:

If you are on a budget another option would be a second hand Steelite if you can find one that spins well.

Note that the Steelite will not be able to be turned for casting like some Alvey's can.

If you are flush with cash look at an Alvey 475CP, Okuma Aventa VT-1002 or a Tempo. All are terrific centrepins.

Amongst some old fishing gear left by my father-in-law there is a Steelite reel in various sizes.

• Like 4

Another good reel is the South Pacific CP475. This reel is the same as the discontinued, Alvey 47VN2X, aluminum center pin you could buy a couple of years ago and just a little cheaper than the side cast model.

If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll send you a link on where you can purchase one.

• Like 3

I agree with Burger's suggestion you use a Steelite.

I have used sidecasts and threadline reels but only when I first started. I only use a centrepin for float fishing.

I have had Alvey Blackfish reels, a Shakespeare Golden Eagle, a handmade aluminium reel from Port Macquarie way and a couple of Avon Royals. After more than 50 years fishing for luderick, I have gone back to using my Steelite reel. They are so simple and straightforward. (When I bought it new it cost $2.50!)

You can pick them up cheaply second hand just check that

1. There is not too much wobble of the spool, and that it spins freely

2. That the ratchet works

3. That the handles spin freely on their posts.

Easy to clean and service just be aware that dropping them on a hard surface could see the reel shatter as bakelite is brittle. I pick one up every year or two at a garage sale/markets so I always have plenty of parts to fix any breakages. I generally pay no more than $10 for one.

KB

• Like 1