ID - Snook, Pike, both?(Striped Barracuda. Also called Pike and Snook)

Mike Sydney

Question

Took a 3.75” StreakZ at high tide bottom of a bridge pylon. The tail isn’t well pictured but yellow fins and tail like a whiting. Maybe 45cm long. 

Was hanging around with a bunch of tailor stealing my lures meant for jewfish. 

Snook?

788FDDB7-E311-4078-8E66-9C1279B9C610.jpeg.a222bd8d883d9101a0ba82927188f2e7.jpeg

B00AE670-F36D-42F4-B8CE-7AC4A1F5F1A3.jpeg.515193c5d0a4e4122b12eae9c81c2106.jpeg
9BC31767-159C-43D4-A6CF-129400A62B1C.jpeg.ea93cc590cc1271af276083d37c45b73.jpeg

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Common names are always confusing for these fish.

Snook- “Sphyraena novaehollandiae” Have been recorded in NSW but are not common and have quite a few common names including a variety with Pike in it.

Striped Barracuda- “Sphyraenidae obtustra” Also goes under another common name Yellowtail Barracuda ( Australian Museum and Fish of Australia) differ???
Plus other common names which have Pike it.

Sigh … 🤔

My guess would be “Obustra” as they are quite common in Sydney but happy to be corrected.

At the end of the day it’s always good to get a new species that you hadn’t caught before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Common names are always confusing for these fish.

Snook- “Sphyraena novaehollandiae” Have been recorded in NSW but are not common and have quite a few common names including a variety with Pike in it.

Striped Barracuda- “Sphyraenidae obtustra” Also goes under another common name Yellowtail Barracuda ( Australian Museum and Fish of Australia) differ???
Plus other common names which have Pike it.

Sigh … 🤔

My guess would be “Obustra” as they are quite common in Sydney but happy to be corrected.

At the end of the day it’s always good to get a new species that you hadn’t caught before.

Always a little difficult with the "Pike" family.

Snook comes from the Dutch word "snoek", which means Pike.

The stinky yellow Pike has always been called Pike by the fishos, and the above photos have been called Snook, to differentiate the two.

The main Snook catches are usually in the south of the country - novaehollandiae  would be the one you are referring to at my guess.

Similar to the Red Rock Cod - it is not a cod but a Scorpionfish species. Confusing.  :wacko: 

• Like 1