Fishtrack or ripchart

JonD

In the past Ive been able to use sites that allow free water temp chart viewing which was a few days out of date but good enough to get an idea where to head. Now it seems difficult to find any free water temp info without signing up for apps which can be difficult to back out of if you don't like them (bit like changing phone carriers!!!!!). The fact Im not a hardcore game fisher and only chase the bigger stuff occasionally I wasn't looking for all the bells and whistles of the $12 per month subscriptions. The Bom site is ok but seems to cover the whole country with one basic sort of average.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:49 PM, zmk1962 said:

Does this help Jon? Press the play symbol (top right) and it shows the flow and direction. Good enough to predict where it is going in the next few days  

http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts/idyoc300.shtml?region=NSW&forecast=SST#

cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran, thats something I used to use but hadn't been able to locate this section lately, great to have the link back to that specific section.

Do you know if any of the paid ones allow for tighter ranges, such as river systems.

Heading up north in September where I will be searching for river temps of around 28'c for Barra to be more actively feeding. Where I head the sea temp is normally ranging from 22-24'c which is tough getting Barra to feed but if I can find sections of rivers with hotter water I will check them out. From my base camp to river mouths is at least 50km one way before I head upstream, so knowing the temp before I head will obviously save time and fuel, which is extremely expensive to have dropped out on the islands offshore.

Edited by JonD

Sorry Jon ... I don't fish that far so I have not needed to test the paid versions at that level.

From memory there was a free trial period before they started the subscription.... I just checked and it's still there but you have to sign up thru the website not the App. Maybe jump into a trial period and see if it will do what you need.

https://support.fishtrack.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002621252-How-do-I-sign-up-for-Premium-#:~:text=You can sign up through,through either of our apps!&text=1) Click here to start,billed for an annual membership.

Personally, I could not justify the subscription cost of FishTrack (I'm not a pro) and I found the BOM site above good enough for my needs.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers Z

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt @mrsswordfisherman 😀 River temps are getting harder to find, I use the BOM too at the moment. I find I have to assess the tidal movement from the sea (and therefore sea temp) to get an idea of what the water temp is in the lower reaches. Upper reaches fluctuate a lot, especially with rainfall being all over the place in Queensland at the moment and the apps I’ve found don’t reflect the real temp when I get there. This is maybe something the Deckee App wizards can look at 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1