Land Based - Gunnamatta Bay

Larkin

Gday raiders, too rough for outside this week with monster swells, and after @Isaac Ct reporting of salmon in the hacking, i knew where I could have a bit of fun for a couple of hours. Hit up Gunnamatta Bay Wharf at around 9.30am. When Salmon are around, they tend to come past there and lures are the best and easiest way to catch them.

Brought my light spin rod with a fast clip so I’m able to change lures quickly.

First up started with a 5inch streaks curly tail in pearl 3/8 jighead in 5/0 - a few follows then hit! 

I bring up 2 salmon around 40-45cm. I get a few more follows but no takers and switch to a 2.5inch grub in motor oil. After a few casts with no takers, I switch again to probably my favourite soft plastic for salmon - a 5 inch jerkshad, this one in “sexy mullet” colour!

This did the trick and I bring in 3 more over the next half an hour.

All in all landed 5 salmon between 40-45cm. Good fun for a two hour land-based session! 
All fish released - had some help releasing by a 3 year old who was fishing with his mum. Young fellow had a huge smile as he picked up the salmon and threw it back in! 

Afterwards headed into Cronulla for some lunch with the wife (who came down to visit me mid session)

IMG_2371.thumb.jpeg.62bec4a842227661533655ade93c2366.jpegIMG_2370.thumb.jpeg.89533043a0f9d445e85ebf0bac316bf8.jpeg
IMG_2367.thumb.jpeg.279b4fe5127afa85f624654f1d85ac41.jpeg

• Like 13

Good work on the salmon, which are great sport. Fish cakes are about the best for them (with lots of flavourings added)

The swell was pushing up the mouth of the Hacking this morning, even a few waves breaking over the sand bank in Gunnamatta during the early morning low tide.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, good fun on the light gear. Nice morning out.

Thanks Isaac - didn’t get any big ones like you did, but was good fun for a couple of hours of fishing.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work on the salmon, which are great sport. Fish cakes are about the best for them (with lots of flavourings added)

The swell was pushing up the mouth of the Hacking this morning, even a few waves breaking over the sand bank in Gunnamatta during the early morning low tide.

Thanks Dave, a bit of fun for the morning.

Surf was huge at Cronulla & was forming barrels. Saw the tow in JetSki heading out of Gunnamatta with a couple of guys and a board, crazy big wave surfers!

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Larkin! Love your gunamatta land based reports. 

Thanks Mike, it’s a great spot for some lure action when the fish are around.

I find it also helps me refine my lure techniques - it’s high off the water and clear, making it a great spot to practice retrieves. You can see the lure swim through the water for quite a distance from above. The fish come up and either grab or swerve away, a little refinement in action or change of lure and you’re on. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kantong said:

great stuff @Larkin and well done on putting a smile on the kid. I'm sure he will be telling people about 'his' catch all week.

Many people out on the wharf?

HI Kantong, I was the only one there at 9.30. A group of three guys came later around 10-30, and the woman with the toddler. Through the weekdays (in winter) not many, if any - on the weekends gets a few. 
If no one’s there and no one swimming in the baths (no noise) it’s usually good fishing early morning. Salmon, Tailor, Trevally - kings in the summer but never know could get a stray winter king too. 

• Like 1