The Rats Are Everywhere In The Harbour

netic

Went out early yesterday to get some mates of mine onto some kings, (they had never been out with me before). Caught 9 squid by 9.00am and then went to the yellow marker inside north head. There was around 25 boats anchored and after downrigging for 2 minutes released that it was going to be impossible to keep downrigging without getting caught on someones anchor.

Anchored up and threw the livies down, ending up with 5 kings, no keepers though, largest was around 58cm. I saw heaps of boats pulling up these rats with none being over 60cm, no word of a lie 30 kings must of been pulled up in an hour. And surprisingly hardly none of the other boats were releasing them, even though i could clearly see they were not legal.

We then went to the wedding cakes around midday and downrigged there for a while before the gust came in and the water got to choppy.

Dissapointed that the rats are in as the average sizes are going to seriously drop over the next month. Bring on the dollies.

Question - in the mayhem that has been Sydney Harbour kingfish fishing over the past month, with all the boats and the thousands of fishermen hitting the water, have any Raiders seen Fisheries officers out there checking catches?

I've been checked by the water police (not fisheries) at Rose Bay ramp twice, but both times they only asked to see my licence, not my catch.

Mondo

Question - in the mayhem that has been Sydney Harbour kingfish fishing over the past month, with all the boats and the thousands of fishermen hitting the water, have any Raiders seen Fisheries officers out there checking catches?

I've been checked by the water police (not fisheries) at Rose Bay ramp twice, but both times they only asked to see my licence, not my catch.

Mondo

I would like to ask the same question where are the inspectors in Botany Bay

I would like to have a dollar for every under sized KING caught and kept

at Molineaux Point IN the last few weeks , has anybody seen any inspectors?????????

Bad luck on the Kings being undersize mate,

hang in there and they will get bigger for you.

On the other topic, I am on the water every weekend and it has been over a year since I was asked to show my catch. It gives me the tom tits that people take undersize fish. How the hell do you educate them? :mad3:

i was in a friends boat at the yellow bouy also around 10am to 2pm and the rats came on and off the whole time. i think we caught about 12 fish with only 1 being 60.5cm. we did pick one 64cm kingy up earlier while trolling a sluggo out the front of north head. in regards to fisheries i have been pulled up and my catch checked once about 15years ago in the harbour duering the week. i think there only on the water on working days.

If you're correct Searabbit, and Fisheries Officers only patrol the waterways on weekdays, then their ineffectiveness will be complete. If they can't see the value in putting a dedicated fisheries boat on Sydney Harbour during the weekend then they are, quite simply, incompetent.

It's no wonder that so many people flaunt the size and bag limits when they have basically zero chance of being caught.

Mondo

Hey guys.

I was cleaning a well and truly legal jew at brooklyn a cople of weeks ago and met fisheries, he asked to see my fisho license then the licenses of a father/son about to launch but never checked the other homecoming boats catch.

I have had my esky checked a couple of times though, once midweek on the harbour when we where about the only ones out there and once at known jewfish location in the hawkesbury just on dark during summer, i think it was a working day too.

I want to see them more because you get the good oil while you are still on the water.

Steve

Guest lbgking

If they were paid a commission of $10 per undersized fish and $20 per unlicensed fisho there would be a plague of them at every boat ramp and double on public holidays. :074::074::074::074:

Mondo

unlice

fisherys where checking northern beaches yesterday afternoon.they send some unlicenced fishers home with undersized kings.

cheers tom

Edited by swordfisherman

Mondo

Yea they shud check catches frequently, a week ago i had a quick fish at grenwich and two other fishermen were keeping undersized bream around 15cm or less....

...Bastards :ranting2:

mate i am been checked once and that was at Five dock boat ramp, its dissapointing when you see so many fisho's take home these undersize fish, most people want to catch kings for there well known fighting abilities and if more fisho's released there would be plenty more kings for everyone to get.

I am heading down to Jervis Bay this weekend so hopefully will get on to some big kings down there, i am having some trouble though tracking down the bigger kings in our harbour that i was catching 3 weeks ago before the rats came in so if anybody finds them it would be great to enlighten the rest of us.

I think this site is great, i have been a member of another site for a long time but i can already see the fisho's on this site seem to help each other out more, i am happy to post after every trip and be as detailed as i can, but even though i like to think i am quite well educated when it comes to chasing kings and have caught well over 100 in the last few years i still have alot to learn so anything raiders can post is always useful.

Edited by netic

I'm happy for the ban and recommendation for catch and release because of the arguments put well forward above. Its a shame that so many people are taking undersized fish home, especially of late the highly regarded king. This will let the fish stock replenish for next year while we can still have fun catching them, catch and release is the way to go anyway, and if you need a feed, just take your bag limit or less.