Johnson 90 Green Oil Leak

JimM

IMG_3175.thumb.jpeg.bab37c44e96791ad669a73730ea7f035.jpegHey everyone…. New to boating. 

Just got a boat and had it serviced. New carb kits, plugs, etc. Now Ive got a leak. I will try to take it apart for a closer look today. 

Photos below.

Two questions:  

1. Is this a leak from the carb?

2. Would this put a oil on the water. (Oil on water at lake yesterday.)

I did strike a rock and damage the prop. 

Thanks!

jim

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3177.jpeg

Edited by JimM
Wrong picture

Clean it up, then have a good look around where it could be leaking from, it does look like fresh two stroke oil, but, there’s quite a lot there, so as mentioned, it was accidentally spilled there, or you have a leak in a hose.

For that volume of oil it's unlikely to be from a carb.  The fuel in the carbs will be 1-2% oil to the fuel, so if you had a leak from the carbs I wouldn't expect to see more than a thin film of oil.

My money is on spilled oil (and there's no point crying over spilled oil).  As others have said, clean and monitor.

There should be no way to spill oil in that location, the oil tank is boat mounted (just guessing) more than likely whoever did the recent repairs has failed to connect an oil line properly. The auto oil system is still in place I assume? It’s pretty simple to remove the entire air box assembly to get a better look, check for any oil hoses with metal screw type hose clamps on them (they should not be used) 

Edited by noelm

Take it back to who ever serviced it and make them fix it -the motor should have been tank tested and all connections checked for leaks , also any oil that may have spilled from the oil line/ lines  while the carby/ carbies were off should have been degreased and washed down before returning the motor , looks like dodgy work to me .

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JimM said:

1. Is this a leak from the carb?

2. Would this put a oil on the water. (Oil on water at lake yesterday.)

I did strike a rock and damage the prop. 

I haven't owned a Johnno since 1988, but I can share the following based on my experience with VRO on a Merc.  As others have said it looks like 2 stroke oil - pretty easy to check - is the oil in your oil reservoir green??? . Striking a rock with the prop would not cause this type of oil leak.

Yes this situation would definitely put oil on the water - it has happened to me twice with the VRO on my Merc.   The Merc had a 10L oil reservoir inside the boat  and a small (about 500ml) oil reservoir on top of the motor. Oil was pumped from the large reservoir to the small one and then fed into the fuel injection system (mixed with fuel) ... in your case the carb. If the oil system was  not airtight the system would continue pumping oil (thinking that the oil was being used and more was needed). In the Merc's case, after a service, the mechanic left the screw cap on the small oil reservoir insufficiently tightened ... and on my first water run the VRO system flooded the engine cowling with 2stroke oil ... dripping oil everywhere and leaving a huge slick up Apple Tree bay. A phone call from the water and some on water cowl juggling sorted that. After that, I always checked the screw caps were TIGHT ! ... which led to the second leak ... I must have overtightened the small reservoir screw cap - it developed a hairline crack - and the VRO system happily pumped oil everywhere again.  

So as others have said ... clean everything up, check all your caps are nipped tight, follow all the oil tubes checking for cracks and that all connections are airtight. Start the motor on muffs with the cowl off and you will soon be able to see the source of the leak.

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

For that volume of oil it's unlikely to be from a carb.

It can be ... as per above. 

Cheers Zoran

Once you lay a finger on it yourself you take responsibility off the service centre and they may try to fob you off . If they are a reputable service centre they would want you to return it and an easy way to find that out is call them before you touch anything , just say you noticed oil in the water around the motor and took the cowling off to look - nothing more !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Take it back to who ever serviced it and make them fix it -the motor should have been tank tested and all connections checked for leaks , also any oil that may have spilled from the oil line/ lines  while the carby/ carbies were off should have been degreased and washed down before returning the motor , looks like dodgy work to me .

Good catch Ian and Rebel .... start with whoever Serviced the motor  .... !!!!  ... all the rest is great background info ....

Cheers Z