Land-based Northern Beaches

aroha

I’m an absolute beginner who is looking for some good landbased fishing spots on the northern beaches in Sydney. Does anyone know if you’re allowed to fish from the wharf/jetty at Q Station in Manly? 
Can anyone recommend some good fishing spots around the northern beaches? 
Hoping to target bream, flatty etc.

There are lots of spots on the northern beaches and pittwater. 

You may need to get onto google maps and do some research.

You can also use the search function on here to bring up some locations from fishing reports. 

Will you be lure fishing or bait fishing?

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, Bennyg78 said:

There are lots of spots on the northern beaches and pittwater. 

You may need to get onto google maps and do some research.

You can also use the search function on here to bring up some locations from fishing reports. 

Will you be lure fishing or bait fishing?

Thanks for that! I’ve got a 2-4kg setup and have been using lures primarily but switching it up with bait depending on the bites. On the day I originally posted I hit up the old gasworks on lures and got nothing so went down to vicinity of the old aquarium and switched to bread and got a drummer. Going to give Narrabeen a go tomorrow with lures, frozen pillys and some bread on hand.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Fixed location after chatting to Aroha

On 8/16/2023 at 6:49 PM, Fried Rice said:

Hi aroha, narrabeen lake always worked for me. Either fish from shore or get your feet wet and wade. Still a bit tough this time of year but the fishing should "warm up" soon.

Cheers FriedRice! Going to give Narrabeen a go tomorrow and try my luck. Any particular spots there that you recommend?

On 8/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, aroha said:

Cheers FriedRice! Going to give Narrabeen a go tomorrow and try my luck. Any particular spots there that you recommend?

What XD351 said above is pretty well spot on. If you decide to wade in the future the flats in front of the Caravan Park used to be good for Flatties and Bream and also managed to scoop up a fair few Blue Swimmers.

Looking forward to a report.

Hey Mate!

NB Local here so happy to provide really the only place I fish nowadays because it consistently provides for me.

Taylors point wharf (https://goo.gl/maps/LTfAxH2YMHr1QJ778)

I don't fish it as much in winter because it slows down quite significantly and seems to get overcrowded with (very) undersized snapper and bream, however the times I have fished in summer I tend to catch yakka from the wharf (Bread mixed with sea water for barley and unweighted chunks of prawns for bait) and then used fillets/chunks of said yakka on standard rigs and caught legal bream 30-40cm (all thrown back so they should be there for you!) legal tailor, trevally, along with banjo and shovelnose sharks. 

All your standard Pittwater wharf species are there, and I've seen both arrow squid and calamari caught off the wharf, although I've never really given them a try.

Largest thing I've caught there which took about 25 mins to get to the wharf was a huge stingray! maybe 80cm-1.2m across? Although definitely not a target species of mine was good fun on a 4kg rod!

Best of luck wherever you end up! Keen to see a report!