Batemans Bream

I haven't posted in a while (trout closed season) but have had a few fishing expeditions in the last month or so ranging from winter cod grinding on the Bidgee (no success) to catching chopper tailor on the Parra River. Been a while since I had caught a good fish.

I had a midweek work appointment in Batemans Bay yesterday so of course the rods came along. Reached Batemans around 7:30am after the drive from Sydney, a good hour before my appointment. Fished a few spots unsuccessfully before I came across a small sandy inlet. At this point I put on the bent minnow as the water was quite shallow. After a few casts around I found a very 'fishy' drop off and put a perfect cast into the nearby rock structure. As I twitched the minnow across the surface there was a flash of silver underneath it. A quick pause and twitch and I was on to a good fish! First call was a soapie jew, but after a few strong runs, I landed a tank of a bream. Measured 40cm on the brag mat... a new pb for me. It had some beautiful yellow spots down its sides... ive never noticed this on a bream before? So happy to get it on the bent minnow. Released to fight another day.

2 casts later the lure came off... the snap had come open mid fight. Really lucky to land the fish. I waded in to retrieve the lure and called it for the morning.

20230816_075920.jpg

20230816_075749.jpg

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

Yellow fin bream, a good speciman when they hit the 40cm mark, and they do fight at that size.

Yes it put up a good tussle!

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Cracker of a bream mate

Thankyou!

9 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

A slab of a bream and in winter, no less! Well done.

Thanks! Yes, definitely not what I was expecting at this time of year, especially on surface.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kantong said:

chunky! well done mate!

Thankyou!

8 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Mate thats a solid fish! Good to see the surface lure getting some action at this time of year

Thanks! Any time of year is a good time of year for surface even if you aren't catching fish 😁 there's just something about working surface lure!

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice fish REGICYCLE and well done taking on a surface lure at this time of year.

Congrats on the PB too.

Thankyou!

5 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done, good time of year for bream, have caught a few around this time of year as they spawn in the lakes around this time.

Thanks! This one had some really bright coloring... I was wondering if it was something to do with spawning.

4 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A top return for your effort.

Thanks! I feel like it was not a bad result for an hour of fishing in unknown territory 😁

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice fish! Well done 👍 

Thankyou!

• Like 2