Hi people. If anybody has any gems of info re this topic, I would love to hear from you.

Heading to Tasmania in early October for some sightseeing and coastal fishing. I am not taking my tinny as I want some flexibility to move around and explore a bit.

I have fished the Tamar River near Beauty Point before, and probably will again, but if you have some places in mind, please let me know.

Many thanks, bn

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Have a great trip @big Neil

I have never been to Tasmania and many report how beautiful it is. 

Thanks Donna. I've been there a few times but never focused totally on fishing. I need a break from routine and this will fit the bill... and give me a chance to test some lures out.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

I've spent lots of time in Tassie for walking and climbing before I started fishing. Magic place. I was last down there about 2.5 years back and did alright on the trout in random lakes. I also fished the breakwall at Lowhead near Georgetown and got some fatties and salmon (bait and SPs). I think this area is the mouth of the Tamar River. I took the kids mountain biking at St Helens and there is heaps of fishing activity around there (recreational and commercial). I didn't get a chance to wet a line here.

I'm looking forward to further replies on this topic for when I next head down there.

I think there is a license required for freshwater but from memory you do not need one for salt (but check that).

Have a great trip.

6 minutes ago, Jiggy said:

You're going to be there at the right time to chase sea run trout; something I've been wanting to try for a while. This site has some pretty useful information on them:

https://tasfish.com/articles/130-salt-water-fishing/2252-sea-run-trout-mysteries-unravelled

Cheers

Rob

Good info and thanks @Jiggy

@big Neil try to get some Taswegians on our forum :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy said:

You're going to be there at the right time to chase sea run trout; something I've been wanting to try for a while. This site has some pretty useful information on them:

https://tasfish.com/articles/130-salt-water-fishing/2252-sea-run-trout-mysteries-unravelled

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob for the information. Still trying to work out my agenda for the trip. Be good to hook into a few of those sea run trout, that's for sure. I will report the trip when I get back, along with some photos. Cheers, bn

5 hours ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Hi Neil,

I've spent lots of time in Tassie for walking and climbing before I started fishing. Magic place. I was last down there about 2.5 years back and did alright on the trout in random lakes. I also fished the breakwall at Lowhead near Georgetown and got some fatties and salmon (bait and SPs). I think this area is the mouth of the Tamar River. I took the kids mountain biking at St Helens and there is heaps of fishing activity around there (recreational and commercial). I didn't get a chance to wet a line here.

I'm looking forward to further replies on this topic for when I next head down there.

I think there is a license required for freshwater but from memory you do not need one for salt (but check that).

Have a great trip.

Dead right about the licensing GG. I learned to fly fish in Tassie and caught some nice Trout including an albino one (white with pink eyes). Going to focus on land-based saltwater fishing and may do an offshore charter too. Hope the weather is kind, can be anything down there.  Cheers, bn

10 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Hey Neil,

Never fished TAS in spite of pretty much circumnavigating it with the Mrs a few years back.

No fishing advice I'm afraid, but I hope you have a great time.. 

Plenty of subject for your photography.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. I certainly enjoy taking photos, as well as fishing. Looking forward to seeing some new areas of Tassie and hopefully catching a fish or two.

Trust you are well mate and able to sneak out fishing occasionally.

Cheers, Neil

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks Jim. I certainly enjoy taking photos, as well as fishing. Looking forward to seeing some new areas of Tassie and hopefully catching a fish or two.

Trust you are well mate and able to sneak out fishing occasionally.

Cheers, Neil

I am fit as a mallee bull, thanks Neil. Hope you are also well.

Going out tomorrow actually for an over-nighter.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Have a top trip.

I believe the Trout are huge.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel, hope the weather is alright. I hope to do some saltwater fishing and maybe some soft plastics for Bream and Flathead. Have had a go at fly fishing for Trout some years back and that was great fun. Apparently, the KGW extend South of the Tasman Sea too. Would be lovely to get into a few of them. Caught some beauties in South Australia during an assault on the Snapper, some years ago. It will be a nice break from routine, whatever happens.

Cheers, bn