Got a feed on bread

noelm

Had a bit of a wander at daylight this morning, across the road near the end of the beach, where the rocks start, just a few slices of bread, a hook, no sinker (not even any spare tackle) first cast got a keeper Trevally, had another couple of casts, got a Toad, then a keeper Bream, and 10 minutes later a Blue Swimmer…..somehow hooked in the swimmer leg. I can tell you, the water is more than “chilly” but, seeing as my wife is away for a week, it was plenty for me (sorry, no pictures, I cleaned/filleted them already, if I think of it I might take a picture of my “man dinner” just fish and the crab……nothing else, except maybe some bread to make a sandwich, mainly because I get into trouble making sandwiches at dinner! It’s amazing what’s around in populated areas, if you get out early (or late) and just try.

• Like 12

Very nice work, entree and main in the one outing.

The water is cool, have been swimming at Wanda and Eloura beaches recently, just body surfing for exercise, and the water is around the 17/18 mark. Need to keep moving or will freeze up. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Sounds like a good feed to me!

Can’t beat a no fuss session - Must of been happy hooking that crab!

Yeah, it was a bit unexpected, the water in the little estuary is freezing, the ocean was just icy……it’s common to get Blue Swimmers in the ocean, but not this time of year. It wasn’t huge, but plenty legal, and when you haven’t had one for a while, I wasn’t going to toss it back.

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Good going mate. Bread would have to be the most versatile bait off the rocks. Even caught my PB snapper on it many years ago.

Yeah it is, I use it more than anything else, and fly fishing I use a bread fly……the bonus is, it’s nearly always in the cupboard and can provide a snack while fishing!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Had a bit of a wander at daylight this morning, across the road near the end of the beach, where the rocks start, just a few slices of bread, a hook, no sinker (not even any spare tackle) first cast got a keeper Trevally, had another couple of casts, got a Toad, then a keeper Bream, and 10 minutes later a Blue Swimmer…..somehow hooked in the swimmer leg. I can tell you, the water is more than “chilly” but, seeing as my wife is away for a week, it was plenty for me (sorry, no pictures, I cleaned/filleted them already, if I think of it I might take a picture of my “man dinner” just fish and the crab……nothing else, except maybe some bread to make a sandwich, mainly because I get into trouble making sandwiches at dinner! It’s amazing what’s around in populated areas, if you get out early (or late) and just try.

If I cross the road I’m in the neighbours front yard..Don’t think he’d want me casting bread out on his lawn..😂😂As always good work mate.Those man Sangas you’re going to have sure beat salad sangas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

If I cross the road I’m in the neighbours front yard..Don’t think he’d want me casting bread out on his lawn..😂😂As always good work mate.Those man Sangas you’re going to have sure beat salad sangas.

Yep, nice fresh bread, a good coating of butter, and some fish fillets, footy on TV, I get the best seat in the house….does it get any better? I just got a call from my wife in Cairns and it’s raining and cold, lucky she took one jumper and a pair of trackies!

Trevally, filleted, skinned and cut into sandwich size pieces, one side of Bream, boned and cut into sandwich sizes, rolled in flour, cooked in hot clean oil…….Blue Swimmer, cleaned and ready to eat.IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.36e7c20fda8b5174ab8714996e29a8be.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Trevally, filleted, skinned and cut into sandwich size pieces, one side of Bream, boned and cut into sandwich sizes, rolled in flour, cooked in hot clean oil…….Blue Swimmer, cleaned and ready to eat.IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.36e7c20fda8b5174ab8714996e29a8be.jpeg

Yum. Just need something to wash it down.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

Yep it was “yum” a couple of slices of fresh bread, some “real” butter and a couple of fillets, no chips, salad, crumbs or batter…….so fresh and simple.

edit……I choked down two beers as well (Yowie) 

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2