New outboard for Van Dieman Seaman

Tassie John

Hi all, New here and after some feedback on the new outboard for my 14ft Tinnie.

It had a 1985 35HP Mercury and a 8 HP Evinrude on it and Ive gone for a brand new 3 cylinder 40HP Mercury. The Marine place  I bought it from said a 40 would be fine on it, BUT, as you do, Ive been reading forums since I ordered the outboard and a lot of people say no bigger than a 25HP? Now Im a tad worried I might have bought too big?

Ill attach the boat and very happy to take some advice/feedback.

Regards

Johnthumbnail_20230327_180929.thumb.jpg.4fb989cba5876373856d61ce5311ed7a.jpg20230327_182036.thumb.jpg.5b3217705a2a904a5ffbb89e2764e1d7.jpg

From a quick bit of google-ising it looks like a 40hp outboard is quite a bit heavier than a 25.

If it were my boat my concern would be about the additional weight rather than too much power.  The throttle can be controlled, gravity not so much.

I'd trust the marine place over faceless forum experts.  (Dammit!  I resemble that remark.)

1 hour ago, Tassie John said:

Thanks for that. Its a 35 and 8 on there currently. The 35 is around 70KG and the 8 is around 20KG. The new 40 is 98KG so not a lot in difference really. Just more weight spread out a bit with the 2 outboards I guess?

Why don't you ditch the auxiliary motor? The weight should come out about the same on your figures. 

Edited by slowjigger

Hi Tassie John. Firstly, welcome to the site, lots of very keen anglers on here. A 40HP is not too big for a 14ft vessel. From the appearance and the fact that you have an auxiliary motor, I would guess that you go out to sea in it.

Are you actually located in Tasmania? If so, I would like to pick your brains. I am heading to Tassie for a week of fishing on 9th of October. If you are able to offer me any info on fishing the North Coast of Tasmania, please send me a reply and I will get in touch with you, if that's alright.

Cheers, bn