John Dory JetSki Fishing off Sydney

Larkin

6 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hey Isaac, 

pretty simple mate, but a couple of things you need to do to get the batter crispy.

Plain Flour

Any Beer - I use Corona

Salt

Deep pan or deep fryer. I use a deep frying pan coz the wife got rid of the deep fryer for an air fryer 😝.
Fill with at least 3cm of Vegetable oil. ETA or crisco brands are good. 

In a mixing bowl put about 2-3 measuring cups of plain flour and about 1/2 to 1 level teaspoon of salt.

poor in the beer and mix - I use a fork to mix so I can get rid of any lumps. You don’t want it too runny like water, or thick like dough, Just in the middle so it sticks to the fish but not thick.

Heres the secret. Not really but you got to do it this way to get a good batter crisp. Cold fish fillets straight out of the fridge, cold beer straight out of the fridge. 
Hot oil that’s already up to frying temperature. When cold hits hot, it makes the batter crispy.

Flour the fish in plain flour, do a few at a time, then straight in the batter - run your forefinger and thumb down either side of the fillet to take off sone of the batter, and straight in the hot oil.

keep flipping them over in the oil as each side gets that golden colour

Use paper towels on a plate to soak up any excess oil. Remove and serve on a plain plate - and eat straight away. If you leave it too long the batter will go soft. 

I do other variations like blending rice flour 50/50 with plain flour to keep it crispy longer, but I prefer the taste of the original way. Sometimes I’ll add honey and lemon into the batter too, but you don’t need to.

It’s a funny thing cooking fish, preparation and good, clean, hot oil is a must. I leave my fish in the fridge too, but prefer it to be sort of “wet” then just roll in flour, it kind of makes a really thin batter. When cooking thick fish, (like say a Jewfish piece) it takes some skill (that I don’t have) to get it fully cooked, without burning the outside! Whiting, Bream and so on are a cinch. That sauce looks great, not too much, my wife makes a fantastic sauce, but it has dozens of ingredients, she makes a “batch” and freezes it in small lots because it takes forever to make, it has cream and brandy and god knows what in it, but it suits fish to a tee!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

I love your posts, Larkin. The research, planning, and execution of your trips are first-class and lead to well-deserved results. Whilst JDs are an unusual-looking fish, they obviously serve a purpose in the scheme of things piscatorial. They always bring back the memory of the first meeting with Waza. Immediately I was taken by his depth of knowledge about the elusive JD. Of course, I have since learned that his knowledge is far more extensive. His willingness to share it continues to reap rewards for many Fishraiders.

Yet another example of the benefits of being on this site.

ps. Your meal looks absolutely scrumptious...now that's something I know about.

bn

Thanks Neil! 
We are always learning mate! Some top blokes on here that give up their time to help others!

I spend a lot my time out there exploring new ground - love finding new spots, or setting myself a new species to target.

One day might even venture out your way chasing the ol Murray Cod!

I’ll post up the sauce recipe mate - as it’s easy to make, and just crowns a freshly caught fillet!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Basil D said:

Nice Catch Chris, tell you what, nothing beats John Dory fillets, I have yet to try a better tasing fish 

Thanks Basil!

Have to agree, Can’t go wrong with fresh dory!

9 hours ago, noelm said:

It’s a funny thing cooking fish, preparation and good, clean, hot oil is a must. I leave my fish in the fridge too, but prefer it to be sort of “wet” then just roll in flour, it kind of makes a really thin batter. When cooking thick fish, (like say a Jewfish piece) it takes some skill (that I don’t have) to get it fully cooked, without burning the outside! Whiting, Bream and so on are a cinch. That sauce looks great, not too much, my wife makes a fantastic sauce, but it has dozens of ingredients, she makes a “batch” and freezes it in small lots because it takes forever to make, it has cream and brandy and god knows what in it, but it suits fish to a tee!

That sauce with brandy your wife makes sounds great! Sauces take a bit of time to reduce on the stove, so I understand why she makes a few at a time.

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome trip Chris

All killers and no fillers!

That dory is something special and glad to see your culinary skills respected such a plate fish!!

Thanks Rob!
They were coming up on both rods - tangled me up good, and for half an hour was untangling & retying leaders.

Fish came up the goods on the plate! Only problem is trying to catch another one

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Larkin that meal looks delicious.

Could you share that recipe into our area called The Kitchen please? 

Thanks Donna! the flavour of the sauce really complemented the fillets. 
I’ll post it up in the kitchen shortly

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1