New Mulloway Limit

campr

Quite by accident I found a change for Mulloway from 1st of September. Bag limits remain at 1 per person and size limits are also unchanged, however there is now a boat limit of 2. 

This means that our catch on Good Friday of 4 mulloway between 3 of us (one released ) would now be illegal. The most disturbing thing about this other than the further degradation of our catch allowance is that this is now enforceable without adequate notification.  Is anyone aware of this being notified to the public?   Ron 

Hi Ron yes it's been in the news and is on the fisheries website. Charter boats also limited to a total of 3 fish per boat per day. It is our responsibility to check on the regulations, however I get where you're coming from and am sure plenty of regular fishers wouldn't be aware of the new numbers 

The information is on raider in fisheries news and regulations

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Like 1

No doubt that Ron's (campr) post will reflect the fact that regulation rules are changing all the time and often go unnoticed. Difficult one for the Authorities to advise ALL ANGLERS, so, as Waza points out we are responsible for knowing what is legal for particular species. In reality, with the ease of information seeking, it shouldn't be too hard for us to have a quick check prior to and even on the water. Maybe make it part of our preparation process as we seek to enjoy our fishing experiences.

Hopefully, this post will alert anglers to the situation and they will take appropriate action.

bn

• Like 1

Hmmmmm....

I get that it is our responsibility but having to check daily to see what rule changes might have been bought in is not realistic either.

Wonder if they should get in the habit of making new rule announcements on the same date every year. 1st of September look up the rules - "no change" or "new rule(s)". Yep now I'm up to date on the rules for the coming year. It is when they are changed throughout the year that you struggle to keep up if it is not well advertised and you don't know what to look for.

• Like 1

It’s near impossible to somehow relay every rule/law change to every angler in the state, the only viable option is via the relevant state controlling bodies website! Be pretty rare for a person these days to not have some kind of access to the internet (of course some wouldn’t) now, all that said, I don’t know anyone who “surfs” the fisheries website just for fun, or regularly to check for rule changes, most only do so to (say) settle an argument with a mate or if doing something new. Sites like this one posts new laws (as it did in this instance) but, even then a change can get missed. Most enforcement officers will allow a bit of leeway if a law has just been changed, but after a bit of time, the onus is on you and I to keep up with changes.

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

If you sign up for the DPI Newscast, you will get the changes emailed to you, which makes it very easy.

Google "dpi newscast" or use the link below.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us/publications/newscast

Thanks @JustJames there is also the pinned post in Fisheries News and Regulations section 

• Like 1

Come fishing with me.You won’t have to worry about any fish keeping rules EVER.We can both say to the officers at the same time…..”No officer, we haven’t caught anything”.But we do have a lot of bait.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hmmmmm....

I get that it is our responsibility but having to check daily to see what rule changes might have been bought in is not realistic either.

Wonder if they should get in the habit of making new rule announcements on the same date every year. 1st of September look up the rules - "no change" or "new rule(s)". Yep now I'm up to date on the rules for the coming year. It is when they are changed throughout the year that you struggle to keep up if it is not well advertised and you don't know what to look for.

Hi Derek. With "seasonal fish species" like Bass, Murray Cod, and Trout they always set the rules for the upcoming season prior to it starting. The benefit here is that most anglers will see what changes apply to their chosen species. Where we come unstuck is the ones like the Jewfish and a month or two back, the Flathead changes.

Most people have a phone with them and can identify and check the specifics of a species while they are actually fishing... provided, of course, you know how to use the phone.

I suppose the safest way to avoid getting in trouble is to release anything that you are unsure about.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2