heading out tomorrow

HOOLIGAN2

hi guys , 

im planing on heading out tomorrow for the first time in 3months the window has oppened lol, i want to give off shore a cracked off broken bay

never really fished out of the river , can any one give me a heads up on some reefs or flathead grounds ?? 

thanks 

Edited by HOOLIGAN2

Don’t know any specific reef areas there, but for Flathead, it’s just a matter of drifting until you find them. I tend to start in about 25-30m and see how it goes, no good, move out to (say) 40m, if that’s dead, try deeper again, or back to the start and try 20m. That is just a very rough starter guide, but it works for me. As far as reef goes, a quick Google should turn up plenty of starter spots.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, noelm said:

Don’t know any specific reef areas there, but for Flathead, it’s just a matter of drifting until you find them. I tend to start in about 25-30m and see how it goes, no good, move out to (say) 40m, if that’s dead, try deeper again, or back to the start and try 20m. That is just a very rough starter guide, but it works for me. As far as reef goes, a quick Google should turn up plenty of starter spots.

THANKS MATE WILL GIVE THAT A GOOD !!!

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Great informative post that will help the OP and others"

Guinness was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 200 points.

I have moved up to Lake Macquarie now but I did fish out of Broken Bay for 30 years plus in my Southwind. I have 3 suggestions for you for tomorrow:

1. Trawleys Reef

This is a highly structured, narrow reef close in off Palm Beach. Trawleys is a great king ground, especially if the bait is holding up top. You may need to wait for the kings to come through but if and when they do it can be a lot of fun. You MUST have squid to fish this ground. GPS Marks: S 33 35. 997  E 151 21. 039

2. Boultons Reef 

Arguably the most popular reef out of Barrenjoey. A large expanse of reef without the sharp structure of Trawleys. Holds a wider range of fish- snapper, moeys, jew, jackets. 

GPS Marks: S 33 36. 550 E 151 22 416 

3 Flathead Drift Ground

A good drift ground that holds reasonable size flathead as well as the odd flounder. The wind maybe too strong tomorrow for a flathead drift but this is a solid patch in calm conditions. GPS Marks S 33 35. 248 E 151 24.447

I hope these details can help you in some way as I am still attempting any sort of offshore success out of Swansea. All the best Hooligan2. Be sure to let me know if you clean up. 

Regards

Guinness

Guinness

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 5:49 PM, Bryant fish said:

Hey mate i fish there regularly if you head straight out from palm beach to about the 40 mtr mark start drifting there you need to make sure your on the bottom and if only catching undersize keep going deeper but be aware it is a slow dropoff good luck

THANK YOU .. will give this ago for sure ..

On 9/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, Guinness said:

I have moved up to Lake Macquarie now but I did fish out of Broken Bay for 30 years plus in my Southwind. I have 3 suggestions for you for tomorrow:

1. Trawleys Reef

This is a highly structured, narrow reef close in off Palm Beach. Trawleys is a great king ground, especially if the bait is holding up top. You may need to wait for the kings to come through but if and when they do it can be a lot of fun. You MUST have squid to fish this ground. GPS Marks: S 33 35. 997  E 151 21. 039

2. Boultons Reef 

Arguably the most popular reef out of Barrenjoey. A large expanse of reef without the sharp structure of Trawleys. Holds a wider range of fish- snapper, moeys, jew, jackets. 

GPS Marks: S 33 36. 550 E 151 22 416 

3 Flathead Drift Ground

A good drift ground that holds reasonable size flathead as well as the odd flounder. The wind maybe too strong tomorrow for a flathead drift but this is a solid patch in calm conditions. GPS Marks S 33 35. 248 E 151 24.447

I hope these details can help you in some way as I am still attempting any sort of offshore success out of Swansea. All the best Hooligan2. Be sure to let me know if you clean up. 

Regards

Guinness

Guinness

wow thank you so much for this info .. cant wait to give these spots a crack ..  

well guys i cant thank you enough for the info you have giving me , i did go out but we didnt make it to drop a line in so we went back in and went home my best mate who i have been fishing for for the last 20 year didnt make it out and was sick as a dog hahahahahahah .. 

hahah.jpg

Edited by HOOLIGAN2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1